Silver?

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I was looking to buy some Silver Charms to engrave for family/friends for Christmas. Found on Hoover and Strong what I was looking for but do not know what kind of Silver I should use. They offer various shaped Charms in:
Sterling Silver, Fine Silver and True Silver. They offer White Gold in 14k and 18K but a bit more than I wanted to pay.
Which of the Silvers are best for wearing like a necklace and to engrave it if matters?

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The stores I do a lot of work for offer only sterling silver. And any time I make charms its only from dead soft sterling silver. True silver I have never heard of before. I would avoid any charms already plated with rhodium. Sometimes cutting over rhodium plating leaves a slightly ragged edge and can't be polished.

Allan

troutbox

from answers.com

also, never heard of it b4.....

1. Truesilver is a fictional metal from J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth fantasy writings, The Hobbit where it was also refered to as "silvered steel". Notably, in 1966 it would be revised to Mithril. 2. Truesilver is an uncommon ore that randomly spawns in some Mithril Veins, Thorium Veins or Rich Thorium Veins were it can be mined with a 230 mining level within the "MMORPG" World of Warcraft. Notably, Truesilver bars can also be obtained through the transmutation of a Mithril Bar with the aid of Philosopher's Stone upon obtaining both a 225 level in alchemy and the skill Transmute: Mithril to Truesilver were it will trigger a 48 hour transmute cooldown for the alchemist's Philosopher's Stone. "MMORPG is the acronym for Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game." 3. Truesilver or "True Silver" maybe defined as 99.99% pure silver.

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
If anyone out here does inadvertently engrave rhodium plated silver and runs into that chipping problem you can contact me if you want to .I plate jewelry also.along with every other metal thats plate able, Yellow,rose & white gold Nickle etc, I wouldn't charge you to re plate it , I believe in helping out someone in need just pay the shipping charges,

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
i use their TruSilver for engraving rings. it is not from middle earth, nor is it mixed with steel. its just a more tarnish resistant sterling silver alloy. it engraves well, and doesnt need polishing every few days.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use their TruSilver for engraving rings. it is not from middle earth, nor is it mixed with steel. its just a more tarnish resistant sterling silver alloy. it engraves well, and doesnt need polishing every few days.
i'm willing to wager the stuff they call tru silver is probably argentium. never engraved "fine", but argentium cuts just about the same as sterling.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to all. I would like to have the most tarnish resistant (tur silver or argentium) and easiest to work for these gifts and will order the minimum number to start these project with.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
i'm willing to wager the stuff they call tru silver is probably argentium. never engraved "fine", but argentium cuts just about the same as sterling.
argentium is .935. H&S has that too.
TruSilver is still .925, and is not such a bitch to work with when heating is involved.