Simichrome Polish for finish on ceramic disk

Jim gordon

I have used 'simichrome' polish on my ceramic disc as a substitute for 'Diamond Spray'
It appears to hold promise. So far it 'seems' to work. I supplement it with isopropyl alcohol
To keep a smooth skate.
If anyone else can confirm this polish application, please post, I would like to know what you think.
Sincerely, Jim

Jim gordon

Hi John, I have been getting amazingly sharp tools, I haven't done any brightcutting, that's A little outside my skill level. I've been using 'Simichrome'
To finish clean my ceramic disc for the past two years, must wear gloves as it will dissolve skin, I use some paper towel and scrub circular, like you would on a car bumper. It does an excellent job of removing iron oxide
A few weeks ago I smeared some on my disc , gave it a go, haven't used 'Diamond Spray' since! I have been very pleased with the results I have had.
It's just one of those crazy flukes, that the idea hit me.
I think it's amazing! However you need to try it and judge the results,please post what you think! It could save all members at the 'Cafe' $$
I can't believe it didn't occur to me sooner!
I am delighted you responded! I should have posted my serendipity sooner.
I use a squeeze bottle of alcohol handy to keep the graver skating just like I did with the diamond spray.
Jim

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have used 'simichrome' polish on my ceramic disc as a substitute for 'Diamond Spray'
It appears to hold promise. So far it 'seems' to work. I supplement it with isopropyl alcohol
To keep a smooth skate.
If anyone else can confirm this polish application, please post, I would like to know what you think.
Sincerely, Jim
To keep a smooth skate.
Sincerely, Jim
jim: do you have any idea of the grit size in the simichrome ? i mean in terms of microns

Jim gordon

jim: do you have any idea of the grit size in the simichrome ? i mean in terms of microns
The can does not list content, it's a long time on the shelf product that you would find in auto care products or hardware store. I't reminds me of the metal polish product called 'Mothers' chrome and wheel polish that 'auto zone' offers.
Now that you ask, I wonder if 'mothers' polish would perform as well?
It's used to polish wheels and chrome.
'Mothers' is also caustic 'simichrome' is more so, one must wash their hands promptly after contact with simichrome.

Jim gordon

Members, I think 'any' metal polishing compound Is worthy of at least
Some investigation. No matter brand or name, if it claims to polish metal,
It's worthy of a try! ON CERAMIC DISC
'Simichrome' is only 'one'! Their are many polishing products for 'metal'
At this point I would consider ALL of them candidates worthy of trying.
Very Sincerely, Jim!

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
I used a german metal polishing compound sucessfully to polish the heels of HSS gravers on a flat ruby stone. The cream ist normally used for aluminum, brass, copper, chrome and noble metals by hand with a rag. The manufacturer makes no comment on the composition. Traditionally such creams are composed of very fine calcium cabonate (natural chalk), maybe some aluminum oxid, ammonia to dissolve copper oxide and silver tarnish and some protective wax / grease in an organic solvent.

I doubt it would work on tungsten carbide gravers, usually they are unaffected by aluminum oxide compounds. I will give it a try once I’m back from holidays.

Cheers

Ralf

Jim gordon

Members, How many can you name?!
I can think of:
'Simichrome', 'Mothers', 'Flitz', 'Micro-Gloss'-(aircraft supply),'Tin oxide'(dental supply)
That's five, can you name more?
Ralf, can you name the paste you used to polish heels?
Members,I have only tried ONE.

Last edited:

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Yes, I can name it, but as most of you are located outside Europe, it will be hard to come by…

It is called MENZERNA-POLIERCREME "Rosa", I’ll attach a picture as well. The name on the package is different, but suppliers often use pictures supplied by the manufacturer.

As I already said, the basic composition of those polishing compounds might be the old formula I mentioned.

Nowadays I polish heels and with 0.5 um diamond paste on a 50mm diameter brass disc on my minihone. Works equally well for carbide and HSS blanks. As reported by many others before, carbide gets a higher degree of polish. And breaks easier when polished.

Cheers,

Ralf

Attachments

• 05500228-0B1F-4A87-A224-0FC19C22B186.jpeg
    05500228-0B1F-4A87-A224-0FC19C22B186.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 15

Jim gordon

Thank you, Ralf
Menzerna,metal polish paste!, that's 6!
Thank you for helping us!
Jim
Help us out, members
Do you have the name of a great metal polishing paste?
At least Something that you felt was special. Or unique.
I did find menzerna on Amazon.

Last edited:

Jim gordon

Boy Howdy!, that stuff is great!, I use it religiously on my copper disk before
ENAMELING!
Farmer 57 gave me some great tips, I ordered some purple and lavender from Shauer/ Bridge hoping to run some trial fires next few days.
'Yer projects look'n mighty sharp!
Pennybright makes 8!
I will add Blue Magic, for 9! (Blue Magic is like Flitz,a polymer with no abrasives).

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
I used a german metal polishing compound sucessfully to polish the heels of HSS gravers on a flat ruby stone. The cream ist normally used for aluminum, brass, copper, chrome and noble metals by hand with a rag. The manufacturer makes no comment on the composition. Traditionally such creams are composed of very fine calcium cabonate (natural chalk), maybe some aluminum oxid, ammonia to dissolve copper oxide and silver tarnish and some protective wax / grease in an organic solvent.

I doubt it would work on tungsten carbide gravers, usually they are unaffected by aluminum oxide compounds. I will give it a try once I’m back from holidays.

Cheers

Ralf
natural chalk is the fosillized remains of billions of micro critters called foraminefera. very tiny shells made of silica. this would likely do the trick if such were harder than the ceramic.

Jim gordon

Thank you monk!
Very interesting, the silica is too soft to be an effective abrasive?(on the surface of the ceramic disk) I love this kinda stuff! I'm listening.
Jim

Jim gordon

natural chalk is the fosillized remains of billions of micro critters called foraminefera. very tiny shells made of silica. this would likely do the trick if such were harder than the ceramic.
Monk ,can you comment on Tin Oxide. I've used this product for 40yrs ,it's white powder I mix with water for a paste, used with a wet felt wheel 7/8" does an incredible job polishing ceramic dental crowns, and will polish Silver to a high luster like nothing else. I sometimes mix it with propylene glycol ( a wetting agent we get from the pharmacy).it will also polish glass!
I'm thinking Simichrome paste Has a high content of Tin oxide, and perhaps a decent share of hydrochloric acid, it's the pungent oder, a dead giveaway for hydrochloric.

Jim gordon

20220503_234833.jpg their isn't any info on this moyco product about grit.i would describe it as extremely fine.(suitable for glass lense grinding)

Last edited:

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Actually chalk is carbonate which is softer than steel . Silica is harder ("quartz"). Different foram species produce both carbonate and silica "shells".

monk

Staff member
Monk ,can you comment on Tin Oxide. I've used this product for 40yrs ,it's white powder I mix with water for a paste, used with a wet felt wheel 7/8" does an incredible job polishing ceramic dental crowns, and will polish Silver to a high luster like nothing else. I sometimes mix it with propylene glycol ( a wetting agent we get from the pharmacy).it will also polish glass!
I'm thinking Simichrome paste Has a high content of Tin oxide, and perhaps a decent share of hydrochloric acid, it's the pungent oder, a dead giveaway for hydrochloric.
i may have used a bit of tin oxide years ago. i do not know much about the technical side of the stuff.

Sponsors