Question: soldering brass to stainless steel

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
OK. I was asked to make a buckle with a brass cross on it. Normally I would bolt the cross on and incorporate the bolt heads in the design. But this design requires just the cross. I plan on getting the brass from GRS the soft brass practice plates are the right size and are suppose to be soft, all I have is very hard brass. So what would be best to attach the brass to the stainless. I don't want the solder to show . I know welding but solder is kinda new to me. Please help.... thanks

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Could you just build up the cross with brazing rod then cut away the excess back down to the stainless?

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I have done that before with a 4 leaf clover. The background im going to do on this buckle won't allow for that approach.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I know right... that was the plans but hate to turn work down . I haven't even come close to learning inlay . I know the process but do in it is another story. So I need to find another means... well GRS said there brass plates work like 10karat gold. I'm assuming this means it overlays nicely ?

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
All good ideas.. thanks.. but again I'm so new to the engravers approach I have no clue how to stone set. Im Still in the backwoods . Lol...

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah the pins are one thing I was thinking of doing. I use a similar method with stainless but weld the prongs on the back. Wasn't sure if that would hold good enough with the brass

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Think I will try the pin method . Have some orders to do before I get to this one. Will post a pic when I'm done. Thanks again guys... y'all are always helpful. Just hope I can repay the favor one day...

myxlplyk

You can solder stainless, but you need special stainless flux for the silver solder to stick to the stainless because you need to break the oxide layer. You can get it at mcmaster.com. Just search for stainless steel flux.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

check out Muggy Welding.

It seems they have some incredable fluxes and alloys for soldering all types of metals at low temps with very acceptable bonding strengths..

Link:
http://muggyweld.com/stainless/

Not cheap though..

AirAmp

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. I have time to deduct a suitable point of attack. Will weigh out my options, now I have so many. Again thanks everyone .

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Jared
I have soldered different metals to stainless using high temp silver solder. Usually 45% using Ultra flux it is Engelhard product I get at the welding supply store. Goes on like it would any other type of steel.
Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors