stainless steel for engraving

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I need some Stainless for engraving. Would like to be able to buy 1 sq. ft. in about 8 gauge. I know 416 is good for engraving are there any other suggestions? I am making plaques to go on benches that will be out side year around. Just names and other info. I have been searching and few places have sheet and most are for commercial machine shops and price large quantities. I am sure some have done something like this before and have some good suggestions. Help.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if there's a junkyard near you, that can be a good source for lotsa good stuff.

707chrisa

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
304 is pretty good for engraving and has good corrosion resistance properties. I remember it not being too expensive. I used to buy it from Industrial Metals Supply in CA.
I forgot about these guys and yes after a memory jog and some google fu 304 or 316 would be best for corrosion resistance . 316 is the best of the two for corrosion resistance. I mostly worked with the 400 series stuff. and yes 416 cuts like butter ( for a stainless ) due to the sulfur added for machining.

Last edited:

Raudt89

304 and 316 are practically the same with the difference of the presence of molybdenum in 316 that improves its anticorrosive characteristics. Neither of the two are very good for engraving, too pasty, however I use 316 as it is the one I have on hand, as I have researched the best for engraving are 303 and 416, they have sulfur therefore they have good characteristics for machining.

Latest posts

Sponsors