Sticking out my newbie neck!

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving friends,

I'm putting my neck on the line in my goal to become a Master Engraver. I've built a blog and ask you to help me reach my goal by commenting on what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I didn't want to tax this forum with repeated threads. You've all been most helpful!

Just click the link in my signature. Tnx!

BES

Elite Cafe Member
You Founded wise decision!

Hi Mike!

You Founded wise decision!
Many professionals make the site at which exposed much of their work!
They tell us which of the great people they know personally!
How many prestigious medals and diplomas they received!

And just two lines about their way, about how much they had done in his life, to become more professional in their field!
They do not want to remember about that, however weak they are!

When beginning to look at this resource, it seems that everything turns easily - and it's not really!

I think that very many people would be interested in your resource!
In your resource will be visible growth path on which you go!

I tried to help you, what could!
I wrote a letter to Scott Pilkguns, to help you!
He responded to my message!

Good luck to you!
BES
Eric S. Brezhitsky

MJConte

I think I have reproduced "The Art of Engraving" twice. You're much better than I am of course but it's encouraging to see someone elses pencil work.

:beerchug:

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Eric,

Thanks for your encouraging comments. I looked for other engraving blogs and none were active, updated or complete. So I thought I'd publish one that might help others as I learn and grow.

Your request to Pilkguns is really appreciated! There are so many artisans here who love the craft and take the time to help others, it amazes me!

Again, your time and consideration are greatly appreciated. Tnx!

MJ,

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who has tried this method. I've set a goal of getting them all re-drawn (and accurately) by May 1st.

If you have any suggestions on how to get the most out of this effort, please let me know. I already feel like I'm understanding the basics of construction and some 'embellishments.' That book (and this forum!) is just filled with beautiful and instructive work. Everyone is so generous! Tnx!

MJConte

If you have any suggestions on how to get the most out of this effort, please let me know.

I work with a couple of gun-nuts :)

Other than that, I upload some pictures to an artists website and ask for criticism. I credit everything as properly as I can. "This is from...I copied it in pencil."

I don't leave anything up as an archive, but getting feedback is hugely important, IMO.

The site I like is called "DeviantArt.com" There is stuff on there that is not safe for work!! NSFW So if you are sensitive to art, nudity or politics I wouldn't go there. Also, anyone can join so you are really exposed if you put up original work.

Here's my favorite picture from my gallery.
http://lukcy13i.deviantart.com/gallery/

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
JT,

Tnx! Trying to keep up with the blog is going to be an additional challenge - time wise.

MJ,

I've frequented Deviantart lots. Some great stuff and great talent there. I like your scroll work there. Is this little cutie yours?

MJConte

Best picture I've ever taken and it's with my cell phone. :beat up:

My youngest sulking at the restaurant 'cause she was hungry, if you can tell by her little "hillbilly" outfit, it was a real hot day in Arizona.

I should leave the better stuff up there, but I never intended it to be an archive. I just like the feedback.

Thank you for the compliments.

Emily.Dale

Hello Mike, I am impressed with your desire and that you have set your goals high and as I posted on your page last night, I think you are well on your way to achieving it. But please, I think it is big mistake to take your efforts seperate from this forum. It's bad enough we have two engraving forums that we have jump back and forth on to see. Please don't segregate us further by asking us to help you seperate from this forum or Steve's. I for one would much rather help you via this forum, so that it maintains a central body of record for other future master engravers to utilize.

Best ,
Scott

PS: oops, I just realized I am on my daughters laptop, not mine.......

Last edited:

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
MJ,

I like the sometimes sad, sometimes weepng shots of little ones. This one is really cute! Tnx!

Scott,

Thanks for the comments on the blog. Since I have a direct link to the blog in my signature here, I'll just give a notification here that there have been updates instead of putting all that stuff here. I want to document all that I do to reach my goal. It really helps me stick with it.

Sponsors