Stone Ribs Pole, bronze

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm just waiting for some pictures to load... just figured out how to load to a post from file.. al least i think i have.

this is for Marrinan, who was asking for some images. this is my last project that i have finished. it i an eight and a half fooot bronze pole that i cast from a yellow cedar master. I will do seven of these.
it's about 300 lbs.
of course i just finihed it, and will have to wait until i return from the UK to bring it to market.

IMG_8735.jpg Gwaai.jpg IMG_8710.jpg

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Quite impressive of a task, and lots of work! I'm wondering, is it hollow? If solid bronze, I think the weight would be approaching a ton or more. Also, why does it appear to have a silver color, and not traditional bronze? I've been in several foundries where bronze was cast. You must have a good source of bronze, to cast eight behemoths like that. Looks like a lot of finishing work. Quite nice!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I apologize to you and your brother. You have brought many great carvings of traditional poles to the Café over the years. I had forgotten about all the pieces stolen and carted off to Europe from your people. Since they never give back to the rightful owners, copies are a rare opportunity. Your current venture into metal is great and will last many lifetimes. A blessing on your skill and artistry. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
just a marvelous undertaking, and even greater results. just an awe inspiring piece of work. i'll not duplicate previous questions-- will just wait to see your answers when you have time to do so. many thanks for sharing this work with the members.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ron, others,
The silver color is stage one of a three part pagination process (or maybe technically two, stage three is a hot wax buff with pigment)
The goal is to echo the color of a stone that we carve up here-argillite.
So it goes on first with the steel grey base patina. A very stable deep color. Followed by a more intense matte black patina that gives full coverage. Then it is waxed to add depth to the tone.

When it is freshly cast it is as golden as any bronze you would be familiar with. This guy is a silica bronze. It is indeed hollow. It was cast in eight pieces. Number two we cast in nine. It is long hora of work to recreate cut marks and grain across the weld lines, as well as just the run of the mill finishing.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
were the sections torch welded, tig, or what ? i never heard of bronze being welded. in any event, this is just a great monument you have created.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You don't want to weld bronze!!! I had to weld some bronze substation pieces quite some time ago (Tig welded) and the porosity was unbelievable, gave me a fit. It was done, but was very difficult and frustrating.

Bill

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The pole is all tig welded. Did have to go back and fill in a bit of porosity... But otherwise pretty good.
Torch welded into some silica bronze avocado seed masks I cast. Easier than silver, or copper, for torch welding.