Studio Protector - prepare your shop for disaster

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Interesting website: http://studioprotector.org

It gives suggestions, info and guidance to prevention, planning and preparation for disasters (flood, fire, earthquake, tornadoes, computer viruses, etc.) and in the steps and sequence to take to recover from catastrophe. Lots of clear, commonsense info specific to the issues and needs of art and craft studios and workshops.

It was put together by CERF+, the "Coalition for Artists' Preparedness and Emergency Response", a national task force that was formed in 2006.

They state that "As artists, we are accustomed to thinking about earth, water, wind and fire as essential elements in making art. However, those same elements can suddenly wreak havoc, turning the studio from a place of creativity into a disaster zone."

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
There's some good stuff that really applies to any home business. It only covers "studios" so I assume that "shops" are impervious to disaster. :)

Yeah Doc .... I'm with ya all the way along with storable food and 1000rds but realistically a government representative is going to come by and force you to "evacuate" while seizing everything dangerous that could be stolen by looters. ..... it's for your own good of course. :thumbsup:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
but realistically a government representative is going to come by and force you to "evacuate" while seizing everything dangerous that could be stolen by looters. ..... it's for your own good of course. :thumbsup:
You're assuming competency and efficiency; as FEMA demonstrated during and after Katrina, that is not a good assumption. We shouldn't always attribute to malice that which is due to laziness and incompetence.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Very very true ... I'm probably being overly optimistic about my government skepticism.

On another note .... the government does have "COG" (continuity of government) for disaster situations. Even at the local level. I would think some sort of "COA" (continuity of art) or for those not in the art field, "Continuity of Garage" as you never know what the demand for matching dinner plates and hand engraved flatware will be in the post-apocalyptic world.

Something worth consideration and appending to the backup section of the site is the use of a solid state internal hard drive. The entire operating system and critical data files of a small business can be stored on one and removed from a computer quickly for transport. Solid state has no moving internal parts or platters. When rebuilding a new computer, use similar hardware and just install the drive and start it up.

Last edited:

Sponsors