Question: Taylor arms

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dave,Taylor Arms has tables at the Chantilly gun show this weekend I'll go by and check and see if they have a Sharps at there booth. J.J.

JJ Roberts

Dave,Dan,Taylor & Co.was a no show at the gun show,but will try to find out about the case color. J.J.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I'm not mistaken, Taylors & Co are an importer of Uberti. I had a SAA that I engraved with their name on it, they are usually "higher end" Ubertis as far as finishes, details like martial inspection marks and so on. They are chemical colors and wipe off with toilet bowl cleaner on a cotton ball.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Tim, but it is Pedrsoli that manufactures these for Taylor.If it were Uberti, I'm pretty sure I'd be cutting it already.I am thinking it is real case coloring but not super hard or deep.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Even regular color case hardening will discolor with toilet bowl cleaner. Toilet bowl cleaner is phosphoric acid. Many engraver use it to take off case colors or bluing and produce what is called french gray. I am engraving a Uberti colt now and the case hardening is fake. I can't say for sure what Pedersoli is.

JJ Roberts

Why would anyone want to remove color case hardening for a French gray finish?I've remove it for a blued guns never have for color cased.color case hardening is not cheap.:confused: J.J.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ
If my synapse are firing right Barry Hands said that was the orginal way French grey was done in France

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why would anyone want to remove color case hardening for a French gray finish?I've remove it for a blued guns never have for color cased.color case hardening is not cheap.:confused: J.J.

to better show the engraving?* also, "color hardening" can be, and often is, just used for the case hardening effect on the steel, not for the color. in fact, it could be said that "case colors" are merely a serendipitous side effect of certain methods of case hardening. so while many guns have been case hardened primarily, even solely, for its decorative look, that was not its original purpose.

*someone once told that when it comes to bad engraving, "a multitude of sins can be hidden with a good color hardening job".

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The case colors were removed on this sharps in order to make the portrait distinguishable.
This is usually done on fine engraving. Ron smith did it a lot and many others.

JJ Roberts

Where the scrolls,boards and portrait the only things that where French grayed? J.J.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A lot of engravers use the french gray for their bolino work and scrolls as well. It can be used to effect any thing one wishes.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Colors selectively polished off JJ...leave it where you want it and remove it where you don't. A process used by many. Phil Coggan does it a lot. The hardening is what is important to make delicate engraving much more sturdy.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Polishing the color off of true heat method case hardening and back to white metal is a method of creating a Coin finish.
Just like many heat hardened tools and gravers that are in the white, it is pretty rust resistant.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To engrave a clean canvas of course. In my case the finish on the metal needed to be better to boot so after I engraved it, I sent it to Turnbull for real color case hardening as it was as soft as butter to cut. Just mild steel.