Testing the Canon G12

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member

Top photo approximately 1 inch or 25mm <-- -->

While I'm a diehard DSLR user, I've always been intrigued with the Canon G-Series cameras, but never owned one until now. Abigail and I are planning a hiking trip and wanted something more portable than our big cameras that would still deliver quality photos. The Canon G12 seemed to be the obvious choice. I prefer to shoot in manual modes and these were taking in aperture priority with the camera mounted on a tripod. Lighting is a Westcott softbox with daylight fluorescent bulbs.

Of course I had to test it with engraving shots too, and here are a couple I did today. While the G12 can focus extremely close for macro photography, it's so close that the camera casts a shadow over the subject. I saw on a photography forum that some folks are using the Raynox closeup lenses on G12s and getting good results. I'd purchased a set for a video shoot a few years ago so I dug them out and hand held the lens in front of the G12 and fired away. The Raynox closeup lenses not only magnify, but provide a much longer working distance between the lens and the subject. These photos have had slight adjustments for contrast and then cropped, but that's it. No other corrections or sharpening. I've never been one to add more glass in front of a camera lens as the image quality starts to suffer, but in this case it seems minimal.

Will the G12 replace my DSLR? No way, but it seems like it's a very capable piece of kit, and with practice there's little doubt it can produce some wonderful photos and large prints. / ~Sam

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I have a G10, and before that I had a G9. Fantastic cameras. In fact, most of the photos in my Staglieno book were taken with those cameras.

They are great for travel, you can always have it close at hand and discrete, unlike an SLR. I have a telefoto rather than a closeup lens, much quicker than an SLR to change lenses.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
neat. will the raynox work with other cameras ? assuming proper adaptors. i have a canon power shot s3is. even with an aftermarket macro lens, the camera falls way short of what i wanted to acheive with closeups. :mad:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The CanonRumors.com website is saying the new Canon G13 should be out soon as they are generally on a one year cycle. I'm waiting for the new Canon 5D MkIII bodies to come out! :thumbsup:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yep, there's certainly a new G-series in the works and probably about to hit the shelves. The improvements in smaller cameras are growing in leaps and bounds, and the DSLR improvements are growing but a slower pace. I can't imagine how much better the 5DMIII will be, but you know it will be. Faster, larger, less noise, etc. Eventually the sensors will be so fast and clean that we won't need image stabilization any more.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nikon is even coming out with a mirror-less camera in their amateur line. If it's a new technology... you know that Canon will come back and do it better. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Latest posts

Sponsors