Critique Request Thanks to Sam’s new DVD for beginners

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks to Sam, for making his new DVD for beginners. It felt like I was a student in his classroom and seeing and hearing someone cut was eye opening.
Someone not to long ago said “a good design done poorly is better than a bad design done well”. As I am lacking on my drawing skills I didn’t realize what a difference a good design would do to really step things up a bit. Sam demonstrates a rosette I’ve done a some tweaking borrowing for other designs and I feel this result is miles ahead of where I was weeks ago. I’d also like to thank everyone who contributes they’re knowledge and encouragement to this forum for newbies such as myself.

Attachments

• 19C40F59-C866-4C24-A44E-96C8783A4614.png
    19C40F59-C866-4C24-A44E-96C8783A4614.png
    685.7 KB · Views: 88
  • F9A0DEC4-0DF3-48A5-8104-1324C5BDC25A.png
    F9A0DEC4-0DF3-48A5-8104-1324C5BDC25A.png
    869.3 KB · Views: 92

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
As a novice I can't offer much in the way of sophisticated comments. One thing that strikes me is that it looks like you have good control over the termination of your cuts (no overcutting int adjacent areas).

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Well done Byrn. Follow Sam's advise.
Study and be a little more careful of how your elements meet your borders.
Consider repeating this design, and number and date them on the back.
That way, you have a record of your improvements.

ByrnBucks

As a novice I can't offer much in the way of sophisticated comments. One thing that strikes me is that it looks like you have good control over the termination of your cuts (no overcutting int adjacent areas
Thank you sir.

ByrnBucks

Well done Byrn. Follow Sam's advise.
Study and be a little more careful of how your elements meet your borders.
Consider repeating this design, and number and date them on the back.
That way, you have a record of your improvements.
Much appreciated John. Just to clarify the outer pedals are cut off a bit, next time rounding them out all the way would be the way to go? I squished them a little to reduce the little void in between, I foolishly did the border first ”until now they have just been a single line” and got excited with the result. As a catalog I have an archive of pictures over two years where the phrase “learning to crawl” doesn’t even come close haha.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks Byrn., you are doing well.
You are on the right track by keeping a record and a date of your work.
An actual engraving or casting is a better record than a photo, if you can manage it.
On this one your petals are a bit uneven as they meet the border, as you can see.
Try to study the design and keep them all alike if that is how they are designed.

ByrnBucks

Thanks Byrn., you are doing well.
You are on the right track by keeping a record and a date of your work.
An actual engraving or casting is a better record than a photo, if you can manage it.
On this one your petals are a bit uneven as they meet the border, as you can see.
Try to study the design and keep them all alike if that is how they are designed.
Ahh I see thank you very much for the advice I will try for a bit more uniformity, omitting the ends isn’t wrong they just need to be equal. Thank you kind Sir.

Latest posts

Sponsors