The BIG jewel on that movement.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Well, this is the Josep work of art!:yes

He have been working on it (on and off) along the last 18 years doing the gold work as well as Jordi with the engravings.

They told me that this piece will represent the "Explorer Spirit" by means of different figures being the ship the most important or principal one. It has, until now, 2,329 diamonds and 284 sapphires set in different ways on the surface and all the metal is solid 18K gold in various alloys (yellow, white, etc.).

Enjoy!
Leonardo.

Attachments

• Base1.jpg
    Base1.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Base2.jpg
    Base2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Base3.jpg
    Base3.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Detall_proa.jpg
    Detall_proa.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 183
  • General1.jpg
    General1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 190
  • General2.jpg
    General2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 162
  • General3.jpg
    General3.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Seven more pictures

That's all folks! :big grin:

Cheers!
Leonardo

Attachments

• Lateral1.jpg
    Lateral1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Lateral2.jpg
    Lateral2.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Màstil_i_cordes.jpg
    Màstil_i_cordes.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Popa.jpg
    Popa.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Proa.jpg
    Proa.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Proa_detall.jpg
    Proa_detall.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Vista_alta_Popa.jpg
    Vista_alta_Popa.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 112

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW...that is absolutely incredible Leonardo. Now I can understand why the movement is so elaborate.

That is something that should be in a museum.

Thanks for showing it.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Holy sh..t. That's unbelievably. That makes Faberge eggs look like practice work. Is this item sold or is it going to auction? Thanks for post it Leonard. Stunning work and phenominal dedication.

Jordi

Hi everyone.

Leonardo has been working on that movement with dedication, and my brother Josep now can face the final part of his project (which can take some more years). Goldsmithing, engineering, stone setting and engraving come along together to create a unique art work.

I started engraving on it just after being an apprentice, six years ago. The final engraving work will involve many hours. I'll keep you informed, I may add some new artistic engravings next year.

My brother's intention is to sell it or auction it. All his savings (and hundreds of hours) went into it for many years.

(The ship is tilted because the interior axis is not yet finished and it can't be hold correctly yet).

My brother says thanks for your nice comments.
Greetings.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Mike, indeed a piece of art and it shows it needs a lot of time to build one masterpiece like this.

Thanks for showing an congrats to Joseph and Jordi :thumbs up:

arnaud

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Leonardo, Jordi, Josep
What a test of dedication to bring this piece from an idea to the final stages of completion. Truly amazing!!!!
Thank you for showing

Mike

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As the kids are always texting, OMG!!!! This is beyond my ability to absorb! The amount of pure imagination combined with raw talent is astounding. I just want to meet the guy who buys this masterpiece. Probably he will live in Dubai.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Mark

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is truly a fantastic objet d'art. Leonardo, can you explain what the complex movement is supposed to do? As it sits it looks like the ship would just revolve around an axis but I'm sure that movement is meant to do more than make it simply revolve.

Roger

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Incredible..........what else is there a person can say other than that which has been said already!!!
Does the piece have a navigational or time keeping relevance?
There must be pounds, not ounces of gold there!
I am sure that Tira guessed right that it will end up in Dubai whenever it is completed and put up for sale.
Thank you so much Leonardo, Josep, and Jordi!
Again, just incredible.
gailm

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all! I am sure that Josep will appreciate your comments very much.

Roger, actually the movement simply revolve the shafts but each one in opposite direction to the other. I mean that the ship will be revolving CW and the Winds Rose CCW and, in the same way, the other 14 pairs of shafts. Anyway, I used a stepper motor so, it is possible to add PLC to program the number of turns, the speed as well as direction changes.

All the best, Leonardo.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Reminds me of the clockwork universe.
18 years seems all too brief after seeing the pictures.

The story of it's conception would be very interesting.
You've given us all something to marvel at.
Kevin P.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
i've seen this one in person when I was in Barcelona,and I can tell you it is fantastic !!! This will become a national treasure one day' no doubght in my mind. As you can see there is a lot of talent in the Sole family. I haven't seen it this far along and now with the engraving and the movement all I can say is WOW!!! Chris

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Joseph, Leonardo and Jordi,

What an amazing collaboration. The piece itself is breath-taking, the scope of the project is staggering.
(I don't think I could collaborate on a so much as a paper airplane with my brother without a fight breaking out.)

Congratulations to you all.

truehand

HOLY SMOKES!! as an engraver _and_ avid sailor, my head nearly exploded with pure awe when I saw the images of this work of art!!!!! Viewing it with my own eyes would be a near heavenly experience I'm sure...

Thank-you very much for fueling the inspiration to strive for this level of excellence!

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
I just want to thank you all for taking the time to look at this post and all the nice comments received.
They have been really very much appreciated. :)
Cheers, Leonardo.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Leonardo, this is what i call "a dream came true"! Please send your friend my esteem. I am deeply moved seeing this work and haven't got words to describe.
All the best for the progress on this lifework!
Mario