The Corps of Discovery Colt

Weldon47

::::Pledge Member::::
Thread starter #1
Just completed a special Colt SAA for the Colt Collectors Association auction in October.
"The Corps of Discovery" features Lewis, Clark and Sacajawea..... and lots of deep relief engraving, sculpting & a little gold inlay.
Hope you enjoy,
Weldon

Attachments

speeedy6

Beautiful work. I've been looking for twenty minutes now and have just noticed my jaw hanging open. Thanks for posting, Mark

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nimschke couldn't have done it this well. Truly outstanding work. Nice and deep, fantastic composition. Just wonderful, classic engraving with a Weldon touch. :clapping: :bow:

Donny

Just wonderful!!!! Can you "guesstimate" how many hours this project took? even a ball park number.

The crescent cuts in the leafs...how do you make those cuts? A scalloped tool?

Don

Last edited:

Weldon47

Thread starter #6
Thank you, Sam!
Thanks Bill.... combining elements is one of my favorite things to do when I have the opportunity to do so.
Donny,
Somewhere between 400-500 hours.
The scallops are done with a large round dot punch on edge.

WL

Last edited:

monk

that could qualify around here as fantabulous. amazing for sure. i esp like the restraint in the use of gold. in this case, i feel it adds to the overall appearance. in many works, there's so much gold, one loses sight of the engraving. a true museum piece ! the more i look at your gun, i wonder how many hours must have been spent at the drawing board. such a design just doesn't flow out of the pencil tip. i suspect many iterations before the final work.

Last edited:

JMiller

Excellent work! I really like the compass, does it have meaning and/ or just part of the design?... either way, it's really well done and fits in just right!

Weldon47

Thread starter #11
Thanks Monk!
The corps of Discovery was the name of the Lewis & Clark expedition.... so, yes a compass is definitely part of the overall theme.

WL

Weldon47

Thread starter #13
Exactly! Northwest was their general direction....
there's a lot of hidden meaning on this piece. There'll be an article in "The Rampant Colt" and also in "The Engraver"

flintdoubles

I look forward to the article in The Engraver. Now I am curious about what else I can find. The peace medal on Lewis is all I've found so far but it sure is fun to look at.
Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors