The Enduring Appeal of Metalpoint

JJ Roberts

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Carlos I was a painter oils,watercolors, pen & ink before I found James Meek's book.I just started experimenting with silver point drawing also been print making.Keep up the good work your doing good been watching your engraving. J.J.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good J.J. Are you using the specially coated paper mentioned in the article, or just sketching paper? Did you make your own silver stylus?

JJ Roberts

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, I'm taking a refresher portrait painting class with a woman in Woodbridge Va. and she is going start us off doing silver point drawing.I got to watch some videos and made a stylus from 32th silver wire in a pin vice and for paper I use Strathmore 100% smooth finish acid free and with brown paper tape, I tape the paper down to a board like you would with stretching water color paper.Next I mix Liquitex acrylic gesso and a little water and apply with a 2 in. fine flat brush,thin coats.I think I've been putting on to many heavy coats and not getting the detail. Just made up a new sheet a bit lighter & I'll give it a go. I'll keep posting the drawings. Hope I answered all your questions. J.J.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, The teacher I'm taking the portrait painting class with is going to be surprised when she see's my silver point drawings.Just a new medium to learn. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors