The next transfer solution . . .

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
The next transfer solution . . .

I kept on paining my brains about transferring design onto metal. In this 21st century it should be possible to do this easy and cheap. Well . . . The next idea I came up with after a good nights sleep.

I sanded a piece of metal and sprayed it with a thin layer of contact glue, ordinary household contact glue. Then I printed a design on parchment paper and pressed it onto/into the drying glue and here is was; my perfect transfer! The complete ink was transferred to the metal, nothing left on the parchment paper in one go! The smooth parchment paper does not stick to the glue. :banana:

Is there a catch? Of course, there is a catch. The clue has to dry and that can take forever if your waiting for it. This type of clue takes 24 hours to dry. :eek:

Here are the ingredients of my new recipe:
- Glue: “Bison Lijmsprayâ€￾ This is a contact spray glue that you normally need to be apply to both area’s that should be attached to each other. For sure this will be available or there will be a substitute in your area for this type of glue.
- Parchment paper of Reynolds and a laser printer with the heating on normally.

The pictures show my first attempt and the print I used for the transfer. I have put a cent in front of the transfer for reference and price. :big grin:

Has anyone tried this before?

Attachments

• Crest1.jpg
    Crest1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Crest2.jpg
    Crest2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 273

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hora

As you've found, the key is the silicon coated parchment paper and pretty much anything sticky on the metal. Because the ink/toner can barely stick to the parchment it's pretty easy to get it to come off but it may or may not stick to the metal by itself.

But add in something sticky on the metal...

I use the damar / naptha mixture myself. Just add a little of the liquid damar varnish (in the oil paint aisle of the art / craft store) and some napth (otherwise known as lighter fluid) in something like a 1 - 8 ratio and you're good to do. The more naptha the faster the stuff dries. Let it get tacky dry, press down the parchment and burnish lightly (I use the back of a fingernail).

It's cool the way you can see the toner (in my case) coming off of the parchment.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hora,
Like KCSteve said, just about anything sticky will work. The key is how long it is sticky.
I just use spray polyurethane. Spray it on the metal or in the can lid and use a Q-tip. Then rub with my finger until it "tacks". It seems to dry pretty fast and is a light film.
It can be forced dried in a few minutes with a heat gun. Spray lacquer works too, it just dries fast. I have tried to rub off the transfers from the poly after it is dry and it holds up well.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys,

This method with the spray glue just surprised me how easy it came off of the parchment paper and sticked right on with ease to the plate. But as you both say, the drying of other methods is much quicker.
I will try your methods next to see what works for me.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hora: you're the man! even though i can transfer several ways, i always find it fun to try out a new way that works. you're a genius !

Ridgerunnr

just a thought..anyone tried very very thin vinyl sign for transfers? I use a plotter to make designs for sand blasting stone/glass projects. I have an adapter for the cutter head that holds a pen instead of the blade. plot(print) the design, peel off backer and stick the the wood/metal or whatever

Ridgerunnr

there is also a parchment style of paper that you can print on and it comes with adhesive on the back..just print, remove backer and apply..

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not sure but I don't think TransferWax will grab ink / toner.

But it does grab graphite. One of the ways to do a quick transfer is to take your image, flip it over and trace it with a soft-lead pencil, nice & dark. Put something on the metal, put your image over it (pencil side down) and burnish over it and some of the graphite will transfer. Here's a list of things I've used on the surface to grab the graphite:

Daubing modeling clay
Renaisssance wax
Transfer Wax
Damar / Naptha solution (this is sticky enough I haven't tried it with regular paper, just parchment).

As noted, using a bit of the silicon coated baking parchment makes the pencil lines come off even easier.

Another great way to use Transfer Wax is to rub on some with your thumb, then use a small paintbrush to touch on some baby powder. This gives you a whitish surface you can draw on with pretty good contrast.

Be aware that the wax & clay methods leave a very fragile pattern - let the side of your thumb brush the metal while cutting and you better hope you already did that part. This is why a lot of folks immediately go over the pattern with a scribe - or even better a scribe where the point's been polished to make it a micro-burnisher so there's no scratch to deal with later.

scroughstock

Do any of you know if this will work with an inkjet. I can see it now. My wife is going to come home and all her wax paper will be gone.

"Bad Husband, No Cookies for You"

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Steve for this explanation, now it's more clear to me how to use the wax.
I haven't til yet, I often use Chinese white fore drawing and acetone for transfering laserprints.
This works well but I am now interested in other way's, like the Tom White method, or the method with the parchmentpaper.
And I think I 'll get it a bit by now.
Willem

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Hora, can't you put the next time also a eurocent next to the subject, now I still don't know how large the image is:big grin:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hora has all that money left over from his visit to the US, he doesn't know what to do with now!!!
:)

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
I saved one cent

After my visit to GRS and hanging out with all you so called engravers and when I had only this single and last US dollar cent left I was kicked out!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At least we let you keep the cent!!
I'm glad you can understand our US humor! We enjoyed your company.

scroughstock

Hora,
Thanks for the great idea. I went home and grabbed some of parchment paper and ran it through my inkjet. It bunched up and made a mess so I got a sheet of regular paper and wrapped it with parchment.
It ran through perfect and when I used my cheap spray on laquer it stuck to the metal completely. This is only the second successful tansfer that I ever got the other was with a tape lift and laquer that wasn't near as good as this.

Kylian

Hallo Hora,
Heb je mijn topic nog geprobeerd? Daar had je zeker over gedroomd. Ja, het werkt goed he!
Did you try the topic I wrote on the engravingforum = Transfer without problems? I now understand- you could not sleep..............Its working very well.

Groeten,

Kylian

Hallo Hora,
Heb je mijn recept geprobeerd begrijp ik met het bakpapier? Zie engravingforum- Transfer without problems.

I understand- you try the topic on engravingforum -Transfer without problems. OK he?

Groeten,
Kylian