the pumpkin engraver strikes again!

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Just because it's not on metal doesn't mean it's not engraving! ;)

I couldn't resist the opportunity to take part in a pumpkin carving contest last weekend. It was my third time entering. Pumpkins engrave quite nicely! I used the same tools that I once used for doing linoleum block prints. It took me five hours to do, and I'm SO glad there was a green pumpkin in the pile from which I was allowed to pick!

And guess what, I won!!! Woo hoo!!!! :banana::banana:

-Katherine

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's really cool! Did you have a design in mind before you started and did you lay it out first or did you just start right on in with the cutting? Congratulations on the win, it was well deserved.

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks! :) I had it sketched out beforehand, so I brought my sketch and tools with me to the pumpkin farm. I used a dry-erase marker to freehand it onto the pumpkin itself. That worked out great, didn't stain and I could just wipe off any mistakes!

If I had to show up with no sketch or idea, I'd spend half the allotted time sitting there thinking "hmmmm, what should do?" Best to plan ahead! ;)

-Katherine

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nicely done and I love the design. Thanks explaining your how you were prepared to start one like this.
No surprise to me you won the price. :)
Always a pleasure looking at your work Katherine.

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

I'm really disappointed that you didn't bulino this one with 10,000 dot per sqmm.......ahh well. :)

Looks fabulous as always, Katherine. You have the golden touch and can go from fine art on guns........ to pumpkins, in the blink of an eye :)

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Pumpkin

Katherine,Congratulation on your engraved pumpkin,my first though seeing your beautiful art on the pumpkin was Edger Allen Poe.Keep up the good work.:thumbsup: J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pumpkin Scratchboard- you've started a whole new art genre. way to go, Katherine!

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Have you entered the pumpkin engraving hall of fame yet? If not I'm nominating you now. Great work and thank you for sharing.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are a women of many talents. You do seem to excel at all of them. Have you been reading Poe lately by chance? Beautiful Job a good job on the win. Fred

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Holy punk'ns chicken gal! lol beautiful job, in your signature style ...... now we are going to have to get the T shirt updated soon!
Always a joy to see what you have accomplished in any medium.
Mark

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
quite impressive as is all you do. what a shame that will wilt. or is there a way to preserve the pumpkin ?

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

Andrew: You know, I totally would have, except for two things... I was limited to an eight-hour window of time in which to do this (it took five). And you have to cut a decent size dot to pop that chip out. Oh yes, popping chips! Good practice for metal. :rolleyes:

Newton Pens: nope, I only have the Speedball stuff. I didn't do very much linoleum carving, my printmaking focus back in the day was stone lithography. So since I only use the tools once a year on pumpkins they're good enough!

Golden Forge: I was actually down near Sacramento. If Hawes had a contest I'd do it though!

Monk: it will eventually rot like any pumpkin, but since it's not cut deep into the fleshy part, it'll actually last as long as a plain uncarved pumpkin (a couple months, easily, depending on the weather). The cut parts will dry out and kinda scab over a bit. They're keeping this on display at the pumpkin farm for as long as it lasts. I don't know if it's a green variety or an unripe orange pumpkin (unripe, I'm guessing) so if/when it turns orange it'll look a lot different!

I'd better start planning for next year... ;)

-Katherine

Latest posts

Sponsors