The Walk A'Bout Pedestal

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here is what I use for hammer & chisel and cutting scrolls in one pass without stopping. This would be an inexpensive way for anyone starting out in the art of engraving. What do you think? J.J. pedestal.studio.jpg

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
that's pretty nifty, jj. i wish i had seen this when i began h&c work. if that's a solid pillar, you could get away with a 20# er. well, maybe

JJ Roberts

monk,It's simple four 2+6's 40" high and capped off on both ends filled or cement or bricks,easy to rock around the shop.I place it under two over head lights.If anyone has a better way I like to hear it. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, I like it I have been trying different ways to do this without a permanent fixture in the middle of the shop. Do you have any idea how much it weighs? How many ball vises do you have in your shop? I can see several in the photo.

JJ Roberts

rripp,The vise on the pedestal is on a rubber donut no problem with movement when engraving.flint,I have no idea the weight of of the pedestal maybe 300 lb. I have seven vise. J.J.

JJ Roberts

flint,If you build one just cap it off on both ends and fill it with cement or bricks standing and walking around while engraving will save your back. J.J.

Daniel29

I always wondered why nobody uses the kind of bench vises that is used in germany. You can rotate the vise with the tip of your graver (while cutting) and dont need to walk a single step. I used it for years and cant imagine that there should be a better way to engrave scrolls or other curves easier with hammer and chisel.

At first it might feel awkward. But once you get used to it it becomes second nature.

JJ Roberts

Dan,I meet and talked with Detrick Apel at a gun fair and he told me about the way the German engraver work with the H&C I did try it but it did't work for me,also have seen this video of Roger giving it a try,I am one who has done a lot of experimenting over the years and the walkabout works best for me and I hope it of help others.I found standing over the work I can cut better scrolls with H&C and power assist no flat areas or dog legs,perfect scrolls every time. troutbox the word walkabout heard it from Crocodile Dundee movie,sounded cool to me. J.J.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Ken,I don't drink while driving or engrave,only have two beers in a week, thanks everyone for your find words J.J.

Last edited:

horologist

Thanks for posting, your timing is perfect as I am nearly finished building a new shop. When I took my class at Connor Prairie the vises were mounted on posts at the corners of the benches. Sort of a ¾ walk around. I have been thinking about building something like your pedestal to use at home or while traveling, but with 1 gallon water jugs as ballast. That way I would only have to carry the empty bottles. Alas, at a little over 8 lb per gallon I fear that is not going to be practical considering your 300 lb pedestal. I do have hundreds of pounds of cast iron tower clock weights but don’t much like the idea of traveling with them. Back to the drawing board.
Troy

JJ Roberts

horologist,Glad the Walk a bout is going to work for you,you'll find very easy to control the H&C while moving around the pedestal,god luck. J.J.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJs going to walk in broad daylight and around the pedestal tonight. He is going to walk, walk, walk until his perfect Scrolls come to light! Does anybody else work like this with a hammer and chisel?

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
This is a good and inexpensive way to engraver with hammer and chisel.
It was part of my NRA class demos at Lassen and Trinidad colleges going back more than 30 years ago.
At one time I posted pictures. Somewhere on the forum there should be pictures of my setup.
And JJ said that he will post a video of his setup in use.