Things around the house

Victor.eide

:happyvise:After I realized that my new grs handles & gravers weren't compatible, I started organizing some art supplies when I noticed how useful the vinyl cutter is as a graver handle. The ink roller, I presume, could easily be used as a sharpener guide as well. I should start paying more attention to things laying around before going out to buy new stuff! :)

IMG_0535.jpg

Victor.eide

Twelve pennies later, I've leaned a lot about what not to do! My thumbs are both raw w/ cuts & stab wounds all over my right hand. By now I'm figuring out exactly what graver shapes work & how they contribute. I should have spent one of those days reading the rest of my engraving book, as the very next chapter I started was about hand engraving.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
:cool:I total agree with you about things around the house. I am a self-declared pack rat as my grandfather before me. Just one of the three buckets of spark plugs could buy me a new grs centering vise let along the many other things. (Spark plugs contain platinum for those that might not know)
Skill comes from diligence

Victor.eide

I actually did not know that! Well, the sharpening was too much for me when im already failing horribly at hand push method thus far! After carving many pennies today, right before work, i got a box containing Lindsay guide & super steel graver. That graver shape for me is amazing, although little can be said about my guide-less sharpening skills. I had already gone through two grs gravers by the time it arrived. Unfortunately the lindsay guide only takes 3/32nd or 3/36 square gravers, so that kinda limits what you can do. Also, the sharpening system appears to require a specific sharpener, but im not sure. I think that my hand placement & maybe where im applying pressure are whats giving me problems, as every other cut is a slip. Im getting there! Aside from a few youtube videos by ppl here, i couldnt find much on hand push as far as good hand positioning & things to counteract the slips. Been researching non stop though!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Spark plugs contain platinum for those that might not know
Not all plugs are platinum tipped....only those so designated. Also, it is only a thin plating on the very tip, so the amount is miniscule. How do you propose to recover it?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I actually did not know that! Well, the sharpening was too much for me when im already failing horribly at hand push method thus far! After carving many pennies today, right before work, i got a box containing Lindsay guide & super steel graver. That graver shape for me is amazing, although little can be said about my guide-less sharpening skills. I had already gone through two grs gravers by the time it arrived. Unfortunately the lindsay guide only takes 3/32nd or 3/36 square gravers, so that kinda limits what you can do. Also, the sharpening system appears to require a specific sharpener, but im not sure. I think that my hand placement & maybe where im applying pressure are whats giving me problems, as every other cut is a slip. Im getting there! Aside from a few youtube videos by ppl here, i couldnt find much on hand push as far as good hand positioning & things to counteract the slips. Been researching non stop though!

too much pressure necissitated by cutting too deeply is a prime cause of slips. with the power toys, a deep pass can be made. similar depth by pushing may take several passes. as ror the 3/32" requirement-- one can regrind a tang so it will fit. be careful to maintain the tang as square as poss. lots of free vids on engraving, as well as dvd's for sale. just keep at it. make sure your local bloodbank has at least one unit available for your blood type.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also you can use counter pressure, by useing one thumb against the other and kind of inch worming along.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
As another beginner I'd say yes pennies are too small; I can't work at that scale yet. I find it easier to get a feel for things with larger sizes and work down to smaller.
Having said that most of my work, and frankly the work of other beginners I've seen in classes, I think is way too large compared to typically engraved items so there's the risk of acquiring bad habits in terms of overly large work which therefore needs concious effort to move to the smaller scale as skill grows. I think this is somewhat similar to the pattern that beginners like me also cut too deep when starting. Just my opinion of course. I'd also wonder whether pennies are the best material to start with from the perspective of getting a feel for metal cutting.
Jeremy

Latest posts

Sponsors