Critique Request Tiffany money clip

Matthew Evans

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Updated version of my drawing and still looking for critiques if any come to mind. Waiting for my Lindsay palm control to arrive and will practice shading before going for my second attempt once more with the money clip. Thank you as always for your time and interest.

1- new 2- old 4AA25D35-831B-41C0-9C8F-45374C72B4DA.jpeg BC2107A3-3E2B-43A3-83E9-51E46E069EA7.jpeg

markswill

Man, I love this forum- as a novice, I liked the looks of everything, but I see where the design just continues to evolve and look better and better. Awesome group of folks here. Glad to be here with you.

Matthew Evans

image.jpg image.jpg Tiffany clip (second attempt) with some new tools and a lot of help from those more experienced with patience and engraving. On to complete the background removal and shading to make it pop. I won’t be dumb enough to snap it in half this time . :p Thank you for all the help and I hope to prove that persistence pays. Happy Labor Day.

Last edited:

Matthew Evans

F3EB8B34-B8C9-4614-B5B9-DF93B31BEE8B.jpeg 47E59989-2E02-4361-B2C4-1DCE8068E0DA.jpeg Finally finished. Critiques still welcome and learning as I go, but this will be my first piece I am putting on the market. Happy with it enough but always working on graver control and fine shading. Thank you for looking and especially to everyone who has given critique, it gives me direction and helps me push further.

Attachments

• 6C834BF9-A2EC-4A83-B583-A166AEE71854.jpeg
    6C834BF9-A2EC-4A83-B583-A166AEE71854.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Matthew

You've made a good job of it and the shading is very nice.

Some advise.........With something like this where there are only 3 scrolls and being quite large, your scrolls have to be perfect. There is nowhere to hide as they are there for all to see :)

No lumps, bumps, flat spots or looking out of balance or deformed or condensed. That is why, at the drawing transfer stage it pays to get them exactly right.

If you have a lot of scrolls then it can be more forgiving so long as 95% of them are correct then the human eye will brush over them.

Leaves can also be forgiving if there are enough of them so the good ones disguise the dodgy ones.

Think of scrolls as the framing on a house. If the frame is on a lean or out of whack, then everything else that follows on exaggerates the problem. So always be sure to get the scrolls correct and you will be just fine :)

Cheers
Andrew

Matthew Evans

Hi Matthew

You've made a good job of it and the shading is very nice.

Some advise.........With something like this where there are only 3 scrolls and being quite large, your scrolls have to be perfect. There is nowhere to hide as they are there for all to see :)

No lumps, bumps, flat spots or looking out of balance or deformed or condensed. That is why, at the drawing transfer stage it pays to get them exactly right.

If you have a lot of scrolls then it can be more forgiving so long as 95% of them are correct then the human eye will brush over them.

Leaves can also be forgiving if there are enough of them so the good ones disguise the dodgy ones.

Think of scrolls as the framing on a house. If the frame is on a lean or out of whack, then everything else that follows on exaggerates the problem. So always be sure to get the scrolls correct and you will be just fine :)

Cheers
Andrew
I’ll read these hints over and over and I appreciate the thought and time you have put into it.
-Matthew