Question: To the lines or on the lines

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In Sam's tips and tricks I have read that for a straight line you have to cut TO the line.
That I understand.
But what with bevelling cuts?
I give you some examples:

- I transfer a design with thin lines to my object to be engraved
- If I cut on the lines of the scrolls and roll the engraver to the inside to have a bevelling relief, there will be less flat space to do the shadow lines.
Especially when I cut deeper.

- When I want to do a relief engraving, I know I have to roll the engraver so that the outer line has an angle of 90°
- This means that when I cut on the line and roll the engraver to the outside of the scroll, the sroll does not become thinner than on the design.

So my question is: Am I right that in example 1 I have to cut to the line and in example 2 on the line?

If my question is not clear I could make a design to illustrate

arnaud

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud
I think you siad things fairly well about where you cut when engraving. If my background is to be removed. I will cut to the outside of my scroll thereby removing "negative space" leaving a fuller scroll to shade and ruin. Otherwise I will cut on the line as my lines are part of my deatailed design and i want to play them as dramtically as possible. I might drift to the inside or outside and vary the depth as the scroll dictates for the best effect.
Marty

Latest posts

Sponsors