Question: Tom White's Transfer Magic White Base solution

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I don't use the white solution. What I do is dry windsor and newtons' permanent white designers Gouache. Fancy name but basically a higher grade watercolor than regular chinese white. When its completely dry, put a bit of spit on your finger and rub it into the gouache. Then tap it lightly over the transfer. It will bring out the transfer clearer, especially on reflective metal. I'm using it now. This what it looks like. I'm used to using this so I don't need it perfect. I could make it whiter if I had to.

Allan
IMG_0638.jpeg

monk

Staff member
does the w & n rub off easily ? chinese white seems to vanish simply by looking at it.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I have used Tom White's Transfer Magic for several years. I use it with a HP 309a ink jet printer and HP Premium transparencies. I have had good results with it and I am currently using it to engrave a university seal on the back of a stainless steel watch. Be sure to shake the bottle for a couple of minutes before using. You may also need to apply two coats on some metals like 4140 alloy steel. Allow the first coat to dry for about 10 minutes before applying the second coat and allow the second coat to dry for several minutes.

No, Monk it does not rub off easily.

Hobie

Thanks for the replies thus far. Tom's link in my original post states, "the white base helps with glare and makes the black line transfer easier to see". Two things I would really find useful.

Hobie

I decided to order Tom's sampler that includes a smaller bottle of both the clear and white base. I have the feeling that the white will get completely used before the clear is gone.

monk

Staff member
I decided to order Tom's sampler that includes a smaller bottle of both the clear and white base. I have the feeling that the white will get completely used before the clear is gone.
is the clear stuff an overcoat ? or what ?

Hobie

Right, two different solutions for the same purpose. Once has a white pigment in it to improve contrast by giving it a whitish background against the black image.

Latest posts

Sponsors