Tools of the trade for Bulino engraving.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Nice JJ, what is your geometry on the square graver. I thought I was the only 1 to jam a toothpick in to hold the graver.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
flint the geometry on square grave is a 90 degree with 40 degree face no heel the other engraving tool is for dots and a burnishing tool. J.J.

monk

Staff member
very neat lookin bird, jj. i also like the simplicity with which you do the work. a lesson to newbies ? should be ! the kiss principle does work for those willing to give it a whack.

JJ Roberts

monk, thanks for your kind words and everyone who took the time to look at my engraving and tools I try to keep it simple when it come to teaching. J.J.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
jj: if i were a newbie today, i think i'd be overwhelmed with all the toy choises available. i think i'd even wonder if i really wanted to get involved with the art of engraving. i started with a hommemade hammer and an old 3-cornered file! sadly, i never did try to use a hard nail. maybe i missed something there.

JJ Roberts

Monk, I would advise anyone interested in the art of engraving to get with an engraver who's been around engraving for advise before they start spending money on engraving tools they don't need when a student call's me I tell them don't buy anything till you talk to me yes you can get overwhelmed with all the great tools we have to choose from and it's very important to learn how to draw if you want to be successfully. J.J.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ
FYI the Edgar Thompson Works is the oldest steel factory in the Pittsburgh area Maybe in the country built by A Carnegie
I worked there in the 1970,s . Glad I got out alive.

Latest posts

Sponsors