Trigger Guard engraving: How to....

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I want to do some engraving and gold inlay on a Fox Sterlingworth trigger guard and need some advice on how to hold it in my vice. I know it must be a solid hold for inlaying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
i cut a block of wood the fits inside the TG bow and extends down the tang. Then I just hot melt glue it in place. I hold the wood in my vice. Got a scrap box full of various wood block patterns over the years. Long live hot melt glue
If I am really worried about damage I will glue some scrap leather to my wood blocks.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What are you worried about damaging? The wood block? Leather or lead in the jaws definitely help prevent the wood from slipping but are you hitting it with a sledge hammer?

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I sawed out a tracing of the trigger guard on a piece of pine, melted some hot glue to the area I wanted the bow of the trigger guard to rest on, then lightly heated the trigger guard and placed it in the bock. It worked like a charm.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I usually warm up the glue on the block first and then press the part I am sticking to it and warm it all up at the same time while applying a little downward pressure to the part.
Glad it worked out for you i use the wood and glue for floor plates and most other odd shaped parts I don't want to clamp directly between the vice jaws. Great for grip caps too

Latest posts

Sponsors