Question: Trophy buckle style Silver thickness??

rossm10

Hello All, What gauge of Sterling is common to use for an oval shaped 3 1/2" x 2 3/4" buckle??
thanks,
Ross

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Brian

I don't understand one thing, why would you go down to a thinner sheet if you are doing a rope edge. I would have thought the opposite would be true. Can you elaborate a little for me please.

Thanks
Mike

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are trying to keep costs down you can always take a thin gauge piece of silver like 20 or 22 and solder it to a piece of nickel as a backer. This will give the feel and heft of a nice chunk of metal but make material costs considerably less. A large amount of the trophy buckles out there are done this way...the ones for smaller rodeos are mainly made in base metals exclusively (nickel with brass and copper overlays).

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Soldering the rope edge on increases the resistance to bending. Strengthens it. I've only seen 18 gauge used for lower end smaller trophy buckles.

At say 3" x 4" and up - it's best to move up to 16 gauge.

This same strengthening also occurs in conchos and you can use lighter gauge metal for economy.

Personally, I go for the heavier (within reason) gauges. Only a few dollars more. (Unless you are making a license plate sized rodeo clown buckle)

Brian

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stick to solid materials for value if nothing else let alone waiting your time being stingy,it never works out very well. If it is a nice buckle, I'd use 14 ga. solid sterling for a base. ,16 ga. for an average buckle. If it has a lot of shape like a ranger style, 18 will be fine with rope or an added border.