Trouble with laser printer transfers

DTS419

Is anyone else having trouble finding a modern printer that will work for acetone transfers? I've been trying printers at work, and even at Staples, and none of them are working with the acetone. Seems the print is indelible, even when the acetone is applied directly.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
I have a SAMSUNG Xpress M2026W it works. I print on baking paper. That I tape to a normal piece of paper. Then run through the printer and use acetone to rub it on the metal. Rubs of fine. It was only about 75 euros if I remember. And ready to use. Only can print in black. So If you want color then this printer is not for you. If you want a cheap printer only for transfers and black print then this is perfect.

Test it. Maybe the ink/laserstuff is different in USA

Travis_UT

I just bought a Canon Imageclass MF264dw and it works great with acetone. I struggled forever trying to get my inkjet to work and finally broke down and bought a laser printer....wish I would have bought it first.

DTS419

So are all laser jets not created equal? I'm still at a loss as to why I haven't been able to find one that works for this (work, Staples, etc.). I've had mixed results using ink jet printer and clear plastic. Works, but isn't as crisp or durable.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Do a search. There is much info about transfers here. I have tried many. The best transfers I have made is with baking parchment and diluted Danmar varnish or some other sticky substance to hold the toner when burnishing. I don' use it though because it is bothersome and messy and can smear on the parchment if you are not careful. I have found that you get 100% of the toner to transfer to the metal.

Mostly when I want a transfer I use HP laser jet 1415 and print on regular paper. Then transfer with acetone.

I also use a HP Envy 5540 using 62 ink. I print on Pictorico transparency sheets. I coat the metal using a Prismacolor marker 40% gray and then burnish the transfer.

When you do your search you might find that some recommend printers that are older and not found in most office supply stores. Go on line and look for old stock printers ones that are mostly suggested. you might be able to get one cheap. just make sure that the ink or toner is available.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I should mention that when I heard about acetone for transfers my reaction was This is great. Can't wait to use it. I printed out a transfer went over it with acetone and nothing. I was very disappointed. After 2 or 3 tries I gave up. I didn't take long before I realized the problem. You cannot use acetone to transfer anything printed with an ink jet. It must be from a laser printer. The toner used with laser printers is a plastic powder and is put on the paper with an electric charge and then baked on. Acetone will dissolve some plastics. I keep the acetone in a plastic bottle like most and it is OK, but once I laid a paper towel I used for a transfer and damp with acetone on a plastic case. It melted the plastic case so be careful where you lay that acetone soaked towel.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
I went to office supply places and got a test print from each of the low-end, black only printers. I found that all the Canon and HP printers gave good results. I have 3 color Brother machines and none of them work--even with specifying black only. The one in the GRS classrooms is an older Canon; I ended up buying an HP printer only, not a multifunction machine. If I was to have only one machine, I would get a multifunction one that can copy and scan sketches: copy to print directly and scan to save for future use.

DTS419

Thanks for the replies. I guess my original question might not have been clear. I have been using printers that I believed to be laser, and the acetone transfer is not working. What I should have asked was, if I set out to buy a laser printer, is there any way to identify which ones will work (if I can't test it)?

JohnC

I have trouble with finding the right printer too. I went to the local copy express. their printer does transfers just fine . My Dell 825 printer works a little but theirs works better.

Latest posts

Sponsors