Question: Trying to Identify Engraver

Road King

Hi everyone I am new to this site but was advised that the members on this forum may be able help me in my search for the engraver of a rifle I aquired. The gun was purchased at the Las Vegas Arms show about 25 to 30 years ago I was told. The rifle has been totaly refinished and has some very nice engraving. What I was hoping was that someone my reconize the style of engraving and maybe indentify the engraver. Hope the pictures can help.
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Road King

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the scroll actually looks a bit like my own very (very, very,) early practice work (and probably a lot of other folks', as well), but i've never done a saddle ring 94 (or any other Winchester carbine) in my life.

did you comb it over thoroughly for any sort of signature or monogram? look for it tucked away in out of the way in some place...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
the scroll actually looks a bit like my own very (very, very,) early practice work (and probably a lot of other folks', as well)

I was thinking the same thing, Mitch. It looks like something I might have done back in the day, and I don't recall engraving a '94. I guess we all start with a similar generic looking scroll.

Road King: Not implying that it's bad. It just doesn't have an easy recognizable 'signature style'. The cutting is neat and clean, though. I hope you can find a name or initials.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to venture this is another "serviceman's special". While nicer than some I have seen it has all the look of a 50's era Asian engraving.
There were lots of guns usually done in a style similar to the Winchester scroll/patterns done over there for next to nothing. Look hard but I doubt you will find a name of an engraver anywhere on it.
I've seen a lot of them in my shop over the years.
Just my 2 cents on it.
Rex

Road King

Thanks guys for the input. I have gone over the rifle, taking it apart looking everywhere for some name, initials but could not find anything. As you seem to aggree that it may have been a practise piece done for someone by someone who was willing to do this (sampler) on a donor gun. I guess I may never know but I think the work is very nice even if it is not up to some of the engraving I have seen on this site.
Keep up the great work guys
Road King

Sponsors