Tutorial: Cutting ties/bridges/connectors

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
This is a tutorial about cutting ties, bridges or connectors for those of you who have asked me to share.

First I either pantograph my design or as in this case, I have used my copier to transfer my design to a piece of label paper (I get this at Staples). I then stick the paper to my metal material, in this case sterling silver. If you notice I have drawn in where I want to apply my "ties". I then drill the necessary holes so that I can saw out the buckle design. In this case I used a #4/0 jewelers saw blade.

I then silver solder this design on to a thicker piece of sterling silver. I use a #2 jewelers saw blade to saw around the shape of the buckle.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
I then use a seperating disc and/or a graver to remove these "ties".

I then polish and engrave the buckle. Then I matte/stipple the background which in turn covers up the areas where I have removed the ties. When removing the "ties", be sure not to remove the background material too excessively as this will leave a groove or valley and will require more work to blend the surrounding area so that there is continuity in the appearance of the matting/stippling.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How extremely cool!

Maryw - looks like we've found at least one source for some of this silversmithing info.

webad2006

Greg,

That's a great tutorial, I'll definitly be putting it to use. Could one assume this is the key method used in all those pretty rodeo buckles with various lettering/findings on them?

Patternweldor

Hi Greg Thanks for a great tutorial, a very handy way to keep the pieces from "floating away" when you solder. It is very thoughtful of you to take your time to show this.

Thanks again!
Chris

Tomyboy

far out!! i love this forum

i got a question... don't mean to be a jerk but did you break a saw blade doing that ?

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greg,

I am delighted to view your tutorial! Thank you for taking the time and careful thought that goes into making it so clear for us. Great picture taking! I love the generosity of the tutorial posters on the forums, so thank you!

Rod

Bill Tokyo

Great tutorial

Thanks a million, this is both informative and inspiring.

I took a photo of your belt buckle along with me to my engraving class here in Tokyo. Mr. Hijikata, the
teacher was very impressed and told me it reminded him of Hawaian wedding jewelry. He then showed me
how to sharpen a Japanese graver to do beauty cuts like you used in the belt buckle.. So maybe some day...

I hope that your tutorial is permanent kept on file in the tutorials archive.

Bill

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Greg, THANK YOU for posting such an excellent photo tutorial. It's definitely worthy of addition to the Tips Archive. As Marcus said, please don't stop! If you have time, we'd all like to see a continuation!!

Bravo! / ~Sam

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
I am very happy that this tutorial was very well received, thank you. It is nice to reciprocate the inspiration and the help just as I have received it from others on this forum.

Webad2006~ You are correct in assuming that this is exactly how I approach the lettering as well.
Tomyboy~ I'm sure I broke at least one blade, maybe even two. Just don't rightly remember.
Bill Tokyo~ Thank you for the update, much appreciated.
Marcus Hunt & Sam~ I will post the finished buckle set on another thread, I am grateful that you have asked.
D.Douglas~ I placed the material on a steel block and proceeded to use a sharpened awl and light hammer to gently center punch where I wanted to pierce the material. I placed the material to be pierced on a piece of soft pine wood. I used my flex shaft using a #74 drill bit lubricated with bees wax to drill the multiple holes.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

tincanart

What are the gauges of the two pieces of silver you used in the buckle construction? Can you point out a good source for learning how to do those wide western style bright cuts and how to sharpen the gravers used to make them also? Thanks

Latest posts

Sponsors