Up To Speed Instantly = Light Table

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I have always wanted one of these things. Since it’s Christmas and I’ve actually got a couple of hours that I don’t feel guilty about not using to get further ahead on Jobs.
This years project is a light table. I thought some of you might be interested.

This is about how to get up to speed with design quickly. It will most benefit beginners the most, because if they’re not familiar with graphic programs, it can take a while.
It will also benefit the old engrave like me who have not quite mastered Flash and the Wacom graphire tablets they spent a bunch of money on. Like me.

This is an older form of aid for graphic illustration. You can use a light table to take a symmetrical hart of the size you want as the base. Then hand draw a variation of the image below on tracing paper. You can do these variations quite quickly. I find that
I can actually do these faster than a computer expert of graphics can generate them.
It is easy to get the new forms into the computer once you have hand drawn them. This includes all the shading, which can be frustrating if you can’t find the effect your looking for. Saving time is the Idea.

You can also train the right side of your brain to retain hand control. There is a thing called hand memory. You get it by doing a lot of drawing. You hand knows where to go.
Tracing is a exercise for this motor function. The table allows you to do this without going blind. Besides you do want some of your own drawing in your engraving don’t you? If you are going to knock off design, it’s better you knock off your own designs.

Once you have gotten onto the graphic programs, you can go in the computer, and then print. Do some more drawing by hand and then put it on the computer again. I like to enlarge parts and once they are finished size them down.

Until you have become a computer Guru, try a light table.

The Build
I try to go around my shop looking for parts to keep cost down. It so happened that I had everything I need for this project already at hand. I had an old light fixture form a sales display. The light box was an old bench pan from a pre made bench. I hated this bench pan for it original purpose. The glass came form an old case that I dismantled.
So it was basically free. I like free.

Vs. $150.00 for a Wacom tablet, $800.00 for Flash program, and another $100.00 for how to books, and no results after four months. There are guys out there that can get it up and running in a day. I’m just not one of them. I will get it, eventually………………………

Attachments

• lighttable1a.jpg
    lighttable1a.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 145
  • lighttable2a.jpg
    lighttable2a.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 147
  • lighttable3a.jpg
    lighttable3a.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 135

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for another nice contribution, Jim. I've added it to the tips archive forum. / ~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I found a light table at a medical surplus store. It was an exray viewing light. It was very cheap and seems to do a good job. Teaching hospitals at universities have this kind of surplus department.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

If you sandblast the underside of your glass/plexiglass you will find that the light difuses better and is less harsh on your eyes as you look into it to trace.

You can also find a piece of white plexiglass that does the same thing only a little better.

Ray

glendikes

My graphic design daughter would be quick to tell you there are some things you just can't do on a computer that work well with the rear lighting from a light box/table. I prefer my plastic lap size box for portability and ease of use. My 3 ft. X 4ft. glass topped box is too heavy and big for me to use for most of my efforts.
My best to you,
Glen D.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Ray, I will take your suggestion and do some re work to make
improvements. Thanks Sam, for considering it usefull.

Jim Thank you for the idea I've been looking for something like this but did not want to spend the money. I will be looking for some parts to build one. Do you just plug this in or did you find a switch so you can turn it on and off? How many watts is the bulbs? And what size is the main box? Any thing you can come up with would help.
Thanks for the idea
Randy

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it has a in line switch. If your building it like a shadow box, it should be large enough to hold the light.
If you buying it a really large lasagna pan. Just keep you eye open when you go through cookware dept.
You can make it out of wood also.
The light I'll be using will be 15 in. 15watts. Under the cupboard type will work Okay.
I'm sure you will come up with something that works and your wife will not accidentally throw out.
Just make heavy so she can't pick up by herself.:D

What you want to do is look for something that is already made that you only have to alter slightly to get what you want.
I had a bench pan that was overbuilt by the manufacturing company. Finger joints, steel pan and nice finish.
I use a bench pan in this bench I made my self that has more room. If you have the light just look around for
something that has the right shape. You might pick up an a cheap medicine cabinet at a yard sale.
Take the mirror out and put in frosted glass. Total cost 10.00
Keep you eye and mind open.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors