US serial numbers, markings ...

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Hello out there
I ve recently been told about fire arms entering the USA, purchased or on sale, from Europe or elsewhere,
receive additional markings and/or serial numbers once on US territory...
Is that true? Is that a job done by anyone of you? Is it done esthetically? What with full covered pieces? These markings get on predetermined Areas?
So yes which are those areas? Could some Weblink be provided?
Thanks a lot in advance
Frank

Last edited:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
To my knowledge No. If the firearm(s) already has the required markings such as the caliber, a serial number, where Mfg (Country of origin). The importer must be identified on the firearms as well before it can be transferred to the general public. I have been a firearms importer for over 30 years.

Everything about the firearms laws in the USA can be found on this web site. https://www.atf.gov Including Importing. Exporting firearms is handle by a different department in the USA Rules and Regulations.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very much, Sir..
In what way is the importer identified on the firearm ?

Last edited:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Some importers who import lots of firearms use a registered trade mark. These trade marks identify the importers business name and place of business. Others like me us their FFL importers business name, City and State. These markings must be of a .003" deep or deeper, and a minimum of 1/16" in height, visible without being dismantled. I advise that you and anyone reading this to contact your local ATF office for this kind of information. I am not a BATFE agent and do not represent that I know these rules and regulations. I recommend that you go to the BATF&E website and order the ATF Reference Guide: ATF Publication 5300.04 the most revised version.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger is essentially correct in his above post. Frank P, what is your reasoning for asking? maybe we can better answer what you want to know. I've had an importers license for about 20 years now. And do import from Switzerland.

Sponsors