Using acid to remove steel burs

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A long time ago if I remember right someone used acid to remove a few burs that stuck up above gold inlay and then burnished over the boo boo. Any one remember tithing and or the acid used. Thanks Dave

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I seem to recall some such comment back when. Never tried it. I have been known to nip off the tip of the offending steel with a sharp graver and then burnishing the gold over. I try really hard not to have the problem.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave
Years ago John and Nick Kusmit from winchester told me that when this happens to them, they would take a tiny drill and drill the burr out and then push in a bit of gold wire into the hole. They used gold wire for all their inlays. They were two very nice gentlemen
Marty

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
There exist special acid which can be brought. Bergeon makes it.
There is ALUM which might work on some occasions.

Or you can use a carbide bur to burr the steel. Or us a diamond coated burr to remove the material.

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
In watchmaking school we were taught to remove a drill bit from a brass plate by boiling in an alum solution. The alum would dissolve the steel without harming the brass. I’ve used it on gold and silver jewelry pieces as well.

troutbox

i would suggest staying away from doing drugs while deburring.

the acid might make it seem like it's gone, but the burr will still be there when you come down.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes this can be done. The best acid to use is EH1-2C Cronite Steel Etching Acid. you can find this on the Cronite web site here.
http://cronite.com/index.php/catalog
There is one thing to be aware of. Do not let the acid reach the edge of the gold as it might undercut the edges of the overlay or inlay. I have had this happen on regular gold inlays when using acid.