Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What do you call the type of jaw that goes on a ball vice?
Is it a centering chuck? Isn't coming up with quite what I'm after in search queries...
Anybody out there know the correct term that is escaping me?
Thanks

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe the accessory blocks? You're talking about the blocks that plug into the top of the parent jaws that hold the different types of holding pins and such, right?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not sure, but know that sometimes when drinking a heavily hopped brew, I get vice jaw! Just for a moment, then I take another sip and it's gone. Whew!
So is good beer really a vice?

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Are you referring to the 'self centering vise' part of the engraving block?

Bob

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes. The self centering vice part. Not the peg plug. Is that what it's called? Self centering vice?

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah...
well self centering vice was it.. guess it just made too much sense for me to try that particular phrase.. i thought i had exhausted my queries..
@ Andrew- yes, making my own vice... a non tilting, low profile vice for carving bracelets..
before people jump down my throat about just getting the right tools in the first place, i have my reasons (plus i do have my graver balls allready)
i don't know if i can manage to make a long story short, but here goes..
built my sweet bench before i had a scope to test it on and as it turns out my great idea of adding inches to the top, coupled with my positioning of my tray created a perfect storm of poor ergonomics.. in order to see my work properly i need to stack pillows on my chair which jams my thighs into my tray.. not ideal... plus the tiltability of my engraving ball seems more of a nuisance than anything under the scope..
so what i'm making from a short heavy duty tin full of lead, and a self centering vice is a heavy, non-tilting, balanced vice that i can push around on my turntable

Andrew Biggs

plus i do have my graver balls allready

I'm very pleased to hear that :)

Yip, change one thing on the bench and everything else follows suit. Work benches tend to be a work in progress.

Good luck with the vise. It sounds like a plan!!

Cheers
Andrew

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors