Question: Vice preference

Jericho

:thinking: I am starting to need a good vice as I am getting more and more into engraving. Does anyone have any good, inexpensive options for a begginer?:tiphat:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Making a cheap bowling bowl vice.

Build an engraving vise on the cheap! ...

Bowling ball vise by John B. [Archive] - The Engraver's Cafe - The ...
www.engraverscafe.com/archive/index.php/t-5132.html?s...Apr 27, 2009 – This is a foot turned engraving vise I made from a bowling ball years ago. The bowling ball sits on a ring of Sheppard furniture casters. It has a ...
My new home made Bowling Ball Engraving ball [Archive]‎ - Feb 27, 2012
vise plans [Archive] - The Engraver's Cafe‎ - May 26, 2010
More results from engraverscafe.com »

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
A pitch bowl is the cheapest/simplest device. Second hand store for a stainless mixing bowl, fill 3/4 with concrete, top off with pitch.

Or sink a couple bolts in the concrete before it sets up and bolt a small vise on top.

Use an old lawnmower tire as the base. You gotta boil the thing in a pot of water to soften it and pry it offa the rim.

You can have a lotta fun explaining what you are doing when someone comes into the kitchen whilst you are at it. :)

Then, if you need it to turn a little easier, you can set the whole thing on top of a potters turntable...

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, why not try some thermoloc. it's low in price and will anchor most anything you'd want to work on. the thermoloc package has enough in it to nearly anchor a battleship. it's also reuseable. unlike the jett-set which requires using water, the thermoloc works in a microwave oven or with a blo drier.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your criteria may be unobtainable. You want a GOOD inexpensive vise. I would argue that there are no good inexpensive vises. You get what you pay for, and if you get a good vise, you will probably never need to get another. Think of it as a one time business expense.

mrthe

Indeed ,good and inexpensive for a vise is impossible,maybe you can considere buy a good used one and save in this way some money.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jericho

Buy a good vise is my best advise for you. You will never regret it.........It's not an optional extra. It is an essential piece of kit like a hammer is for a carpenter.

Yes, you can go cheap and make do but you will always be fighting with it.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors