Question: victor ballvise upgrade.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have a victor. the model with the hole/lock pin. it rotates too freely. at least for my hand. what's a good way to apply a bit of resistance or braking to the top half. no, i don't need another doorstop, just a viable suggestion.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Monk,I have two Victor engraving vise's one 16lb. & a 12lb. can't think of a way to slow them down while working I have a MagnaBlock & Positioning Vise use every day treat yourself to a new one. J.J.

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, Mine has an adjuster on the bottom that is supposed to regulate the support bearing, but mine does not work very well. I backed the adjuster off completely and built myself a rotary table that is adjustable.

monk

Staff member
Monk,

Same problem with my Vigor. I found a rubber bushing in my junk and replaced the bearing in the bottom with it. Slowed it down just enough.
roger: not sure if there's a bearing in the bottom. just a lot of very thin grease. i'll dismantle it and look to see if there's a bearing. am listening to everyone to decide what's best.

monk

Staff member
Monk, Mine has an adjuster on the bottom that is supposed to regulate the support bearing, but mine does not work very well. I backed the adjuster off completely and built myself a rotary table that is adjustable.
we must have different models. mine has no such adjustment as yours does.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mine has a screw right in the centre dome of base. Drive it in and the halves separate slightly making rotation more free.. but down the rotation is still relatively free...
How about a large washer in either rubber, leather orteflon to create a little more drag. Not Adele, it if it hits your sweet spot.
Otherwise tap a hole for a nut along the edge to add drag (no idea if the steel is tappable?)

monk

Staff member
Mine has a screw right in the centre dome of base. Drive it in and the halves separate slightly making rotation more free.. but down the rotation is still relatively free...
How about a large washer in either rubber, leather orteflon to create a little more drag. Not Adele, it if it hits your sweet spot.
Otherwise tap a hole for a nut along the edge to add drag (no idea if the steel is tappable?)
the bearing wouldnt budge. i flushed the old grease out, then added some bees wax. after 10 minutes or so the wax broke down too much. am going to give the rubber idea a try this pm.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the bearing wouldnt budge. i flushed the old grease out, then added some bees wax. after 10 minutes or so the wax broke down too much. am going to give the rubber idea a try this pm.
Rubber will be the most extreme break i think.. if that’s what you are after.. post the results!

monk

Staff member
ok ! situation solved. a friend gave me some veryhigh viscosity grease. nearly tar in appearance and feel. quite a few rotations were needed to "work" the stuff. it now rotates xactly how i like it. used it for about 2 hours or so. tyvm to all that sent ideas.

monk

Staff member
Were you the guy that got into my beehive off hwy 179?
yes and when i get outta the hospital, my lawyer will be contacting you !!
Rubber will be the most extreme break i think.. if that’s what you are after.. post the results!
no, not extreme. when the part is in position, no matter how well centered, the top will follow gravity. i just want enough resistance to over come the tendency.

Latest posts

Sponsors