Weldon Lister Colt SAA Intaglio Print #1 17/50 - How I had it framed and matted

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I took my time to come up with a framing and matting job that I liked and (at least in my opinion) does Weldon's print justice. I decided on a sort of "Colt blue" with a metallic gold under mat. The frame moulding is a reproduction of some in George Vanderbilt's Biltmore mansion. Anyway... I like it. I figured I'd show it off here on the forum. :biggrin:

WeldonLister_Print_No1_17_of_50_1500px.jpg

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice, did you do the work?

Saludos,
Carlos

I can do simple framing but that sort of mat cutting is beyond my skill set. So, I hired a local frame shop to do it for me. We've been working on it since back in December. I told the gal I wasn't in any hurry. I think I created a family heirloom. At least until someone down the line sells it in a yard sale for $1.50 not knowing what it is. I did have the gal put the paperwork in an envelope on the back so that should help. :)

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, it's funny you mention that it's a repro frame from one at the Biltmore. I get frustrated every time I go there because they won't let you take photos inside the home, yet it is open daily, year round for tourists to come through and bask in its splendor. I love the woodwork and stone carving in and around that house plus I have a big, big molding fetish be it crown molding, case, chair rail, picture rail or whatever. I go giddy over quarter sawn oak too!

It would be nice if one day they would let you take pictures of whatever you want in the section of the home not being lived in so one could study that wood work in detail. I'd spend the day in the library, billiard room, and that big case against the wall in the main banquet room with all the tapestries hanging up along the wall. I should just sit there and draw some of it but they'd run me off for that too I bet.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Biltmore has one of the largest collections of Albrecht Durer engravings on display... and a 10 foot tall Durer engraving over the fireplace in the music room.

Sponsors