Question: What’s a day in the life of a professional engraver look like?

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Jokes are welcome too of course, but wanted to revive an old thread of what a day in the life looks like for a full time engraver.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Up..
Do correspondence.. answer emails etc.
Coffee with my wife.. watch the birds in the garden.
Go for a walk.. hr-1.5hr
Breakfast.
Into the shop.
Carve for about four hrs..
Stand up and mess around.. try new techniques, or do some other thing that is pressing that doesn’t involve looking two inches Fr my face
Back for couple more hrs cutting..

Mileage varies.. project depending

DocsEngraving

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Probably wildly variable. Would be interesting to hear answers from the Engraving MASTERS - who are still in the business of engraving full-time as their primary source of revenue. I imagine that's quite a different POV from those who are retired/ have other revenue sources (viz. - not dependent on engraving for their livelihood).

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
Probably wildly variable. Would be interesting to hear answers from the Engraving MASTERS - who are still in the business of engraving full-time as their primary source of revenue. I imagine that's quite a different POV from those who are retired/ have other revenue sources (viz. - not dependent on engraving for their livelihood).
I agree I myself do production jewelry repair durring the day time. Spend a little lime with my wife before she goes to work (graveyard shift) then jump into my studio and cut away till early morning before getting a couple hours of sleep and repeating the process all with the goal of being good enough and getting enough recognition to become a full time engraver

Latest posts

Sponsors