What are your 3 favorite engraving books?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, I am putting together an episode of my podcast that will be talking about the "must have" engraving books. What are your top 3? Thanks in advance for the help!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wade, My favorite book is James B. Meek's book The Art of Engraving it's the book that me and many others were able to get started in the art of engraving. J.J.

monk

Staff member
like jj, i got to skip over many very beautiful books. j.b.. meeks, "the art of engraving". i must credit mr. meeks for giving me a real serious intro into the world of engraving. without his book i would never hav.e dedicated myself to this art.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
If it was'nt for James B. Meek and his book there would'nt be the engravers guild, engraver's, forums or engrave-in. J.J.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Sketching your favorite subjects in "PEN & INK."
By Claudia Nice, North Light Books.
ISBN 0-89134-472-1. Published in1992.

IMO. This is absolutely the next best thing than having a good professional artist teacher for those engravers studying and learning Bulino Engraving, using the line method.
The ink lines are the same lines you need to cut with your graver.

It's probably out of print now.
This hardcover book initial cost $22.99 and may be available from some used book dealers.
If I didn't have a copy and wanted to learn Bulino Engraving I would gladly pay $200-$300 for a copy.
That is how good and valuable this book is.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
This hardcover book initial cost $22.99 and may be available from some used book dealers.
If I didn't have a copy and wanted to learn Bulino Engraving I would gladly pay $200-$300 for a copy.
That is how good and valuable this book is.
Thank you John, will probably add that one… you can find it on Amazon in paperback for $12.79 new, cheaper if used.

Advanced Drawing of Scrolls (Ron Smith)
Art & Design Fundementals (Lee Griffiths)
English Fine Scroll (Marcus Hunt)

Last edited: