What engraving dvd do you recommend for a newbie?

accesskb

Hi all,
I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to engraving. I have used gravers for minor cleanup work on bezel set stones and think I have a good understanding of sharpening gravers from books I've read and Sam's videos I've seen.
I have picked up Sam Alfano's engraving dvds also and they are amazing. I know there must be countless of similar threads already but I was wondering if any of you can recommend a structured dvd course for a beginner? I would prefer if there was something more like a course in school to build up my skills which progressed from the basics to more advanced skills. (eg: start cutting straight lines, then circles, then something more difficult etc) I tend to be overwhelmed, all over the place and don't get much done without some structure.

thanks,
Allen

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i believe chris decamillis offers an on-line, live training session tailored to the needs of the student. there surely others, but his come to mind. it would be advantageous to get a bit of preliminary practice in before actually taking his training sessioons. best to contact him.

Last edited:

accesskb

i believe chris decamillis offers an on-line, live training session tailored to the needs of the student. there surely others, but his come to mind. it would be advantageous to get a bit of preliminary practice in before actually taking his training sessioons. best to contact him.

thanks.. I will look into his courses. I do agree its always best to get some prelim practice in before starting a course to make the most of it. I must say I just managed to look through Sam's dvds and they are amazing.. Got a better hang of the process involved in engraving. I'm sure it is so much harder than it looks. haha

accesskb

There is a Basic Engraving Seminar by Master Engraver Rex Pedersen DVD available at Fega.com
Here is a link

http://fega.com/prodserv/DVD.asp?recidparam=148

I have not watched it but it sounds like it may provide you with the basics.
Rex may remark on it's content here on your post.

There are many titles available that may benefit you.

thanks Van.. I will check that out. I wish there was a content breakdown on many of the dvds in Fega. A few I'm interested in but I don't know which to pick due to limited budget.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
That is something I am considering to add to each DVD.
A detailed discription of the content and processes and methods deminstrated in each. Only problem is the time to watch each DVD to outline the content. About 60 hours of viewing.

accesskb

That is something I am considering to add to each DVD.
A detailed discription of the content and processes and methods deminstrated in each. Only problem is the time to watch each DVD to outline the content. About 60 hours of viewing.

haha that would be much work.. perhaps for future tutorial dvds

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would love to add more on what I covered on this seminar but it was a while ago and my memory seems to have an expiration date!!
I know it WAS geared to the beginner on what I thought they needed to know however.

Latest posts

Sponsors