Question: What is Blackleaf?

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I just read dcurrie911 question about blackleaf. What is blackleaf? I googled it and I still can't tell if this is a type of patina or a style of engraving or both. Thank you. Diane b.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Diane, it's a type of engraving, generally within the scroll style.
You might find C.Roger Bleile, the Firearms Engravers Guild of America historian's glossary of engraving terms helpful to you.
I'm sure you will find a full description of blackleaf and most other styles of engraving..

Last edited:

diane b

Dear John and Roger, thank you for the reference to the glossary. I am on the Lindsay website as well and have never seen this. I guess I need to explore both Sam and Lindsay sites a bit more. That glossary will give me so many rabbit holes to go down. I really like the Churchill blackleaf scroll design. The movement of the vines is so fluid. Do you have any references I can go to where I can examine more blackleaf design work? Has anyone thought of or already done a class at GRS on blackleaf design engraving? Thank you both for your time. Diane B

diane b

Dear Jerry, after visiting Roger's glossary and googling the two additional names for blackleaf engraving: German floral and Altdeutscher Laubgravur for images, different pictures of the engraving appear. Some are the same, but by changing the name a somewhat different search is created, even though all these names refer to the same style of engraving.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I have heard it called different names."

Besides Blackleaf, it is often misnamed Arabesque. In German speaking countries it can be called Wetzlaub, Altdeutscher Laubgravur (old German leaf engraving) , or more simply Deutscher Laub. Belgians use "genre feuilles." I don't know what Italian engravers call it because I rarely see it used by them. I'm sure there are many more.

diane b

Dear Roger, thank you for the additional names. Wetzlaub produced some great images on the search engine. Diane B

Latest posts

Sponsors