Question: What kind of chair do you guys use?

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
I’m looking to upgrade an old office chair that isn’t really doing the trick for my back anymore. I’ve been looking at everything from saddles, to round tops, to drum thrones. Any suggestions would be awesome and bonus points if you guys have any pictures of your set up.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you should first take a look at your posture when seated. you may be causing some back strain without even noticing how you position yourself. regardless of the chair, you must design your workstation to allow you to work as comfortably as possible.

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
you should first take a look at your posture when seated. you may be causing some back strain without even noticing how you position yourself. regardless of the chair, you must design your workstation to allow you to work as comfortably as possible.
Right now I’ve got an articulating stand running off my bench to a drill press stand with my positioning vise. The chair I’m using feels like it has too much play in the back so I’m arching to engrave. I’ve always had bad posture

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've used everything from a bar stool with/cushion, kitchen chair w/cushion, rolling articulating height adjustable saddle stool etc. and they all caused pain after an hour or so of use, after (I google searched for an orthopedic office chair) going to the Herman Miller chair and screwing a block of wood to the floor (at the angle of the foot peddle) to rest my non-peddle foot on, my posture related pain issues went away. I bought the size larger chair than my current weight range to accomodate weight variations as I age. What is obvious about the HM chairs is that besides the arm rests, you are not in contact with any hard parts whatsoever, you're essentially floating on the webbing of the seat.

Do your research, this is probably the most important investment you'll make besides classes.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
You dont need a backrest for sitting behind a microscope. You can sit slightly tilted forward. Just need some armrests.

Latest posts

Sponsors