Question: What type of vise u use for engraving under a microscope?

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
My only recommendation would be to spend the extra money and purchase a positioning vise, they save so much time in keeping the work centered under the scope, plus no need for the turntables, or Shimpo banding wheel etc.

GRS sells a positioning vise and Lindsay sells a CamLoc vise, they accomplish the same goal. Lindsay has CamLock adapters to fit all three sizes of his ball vise.

Read the reviews for both systems to see if the Lindsay is worth the extra coin.

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do any of them have a low enough centre of rotation that they don’t roll out of view when you tilt the vise?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMO the turntable and GRS Low Profile vise are the perfect combination. The GRS positioning vise has very limited travel. The low-pro + turntable will give you lots of travel. Don't get me wrong, the GRS positioning vise is an excellent vise in every regard, but the travel is not enough to even make it to the corners of a 2" practice plate.

I know people use them, but the pottery wheel turntables can be wobbly under high magnification. Buy once, cry once, and get the GRS Satellite stand w/turntable and you're good to go.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I just bought the GRS Satellite and put my turntable on it. It has become one of my favorite tool purchases. Between my GRS Satellite, vise, and A60 microscope I am able to do rifle and shotgun barrels without all the angst I had previously. Everything is "just better" now. Buy once, Cry once. I promise you will be much happier in the end.

billyProps

IMO the turntable and GRS Low Profile vise are the perfect combination. The GRS positioning vise has very limited travel. The low-pro + turntable will give you lots of travel. Don't get me wrong, the GRS positioning vise is an excellent vise in every regard, but the travel is not enough to even make it to the corners of a 2" practice plate.

I know people use them, but the pottery wheel turntables can be wobbly under high magnification. Buy once, cry once, and get the GRS Satellite stand w/turntable and you're good to go.
This helps. I posted this question today. I have the Magna block under an A60. Almost ordered a GRS positioning vise, but ordered the GRS turntable instead. See how that works with the Magna before adding the low pro. Good thing I like buying nice tools.