Question: Winchester Model 42 engraving

andyintacoma

Hello all - and Thanks for helping out another new member if possible.

This is a family owned Winchester Model 42 - .410 shotgun, originally owned by my Grandfather. Serial # dates to December 1948 production. He was, best I am told, the original owner. Purchased in upstate New York (Buffalo). It has been in his, or my Uncle's gun case for 70 years or so. This past week, my Uncle handed it over to me for safe keeping and care until I guess I croak, or find another worthy caretaker. I plan on keeping it around for some time as the new jewel of my collection.

My Grandfather irritated my Grandmother by spending too much money on this delicate little shotgun, and I know he commissioned the engraving work outside of factory sourced engravers and the set Winchester patterns.

My hope is somebody has recognized this style / engraver in the past. My grandfather was not military - so I do not think it was done in post war Japan, and I believe he sourced the engraving and stock work through his gun club in Buffalo NY in the 1950's.

I hope these images meet the high standards of this group for a better sleuthing of our mystery engraver - there are no initials visible anywhere that I can see The details within the farmscape on the left side is incredible. I had to down size the imagery to be accepted by the upload page...

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_8561.jpg
    IMG_8561.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8562.jpg
    IMG_8562.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8563.jpg
    IMG_8563.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8564.jpg
    IMG_8564.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8582.jpg
    IMG_8582.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8583.jpg
    IMG_8583.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8541.jpg
    IMG_8541.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8528.jpg
    IMG_8528.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andy,

Unfortunately the images are too small and poorly lit to make an identification of the engraver. The key to identification is in the scrollwork. Try taking a close-up of the left half of the receiver then another of the right half, then turn the gun over and do the same thing. The focus must be crisp and the lighting can't leave the work too dark or washed out for any hope of identification. I don't need to see any of the stocks in the pictures.

By the way, I don't know if you are aware that your book entitled American Engravers (I am the author) is pretty valuable. Depending on condition, copies usually sell for between $200. to $400. It has been out of print for about 40 years.

andyintacoma

I am aware you were the author of it. It wasn't cheap, and its in great shape. Hopefully you have a few stashed away still!

I will remove a few of the other images tonight - and do my best to capture your requested images.

Best regards, Andy

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Andy, I agree with Roger 100%. Need to see well lit close up scroll pics.
The general layout and gold linework is pretty typical of many many guns done by Anglo Bee, Gino Cargnel and a ton of American engravers in the 70s-80s and 90s and before that.
And still being done today. Nice gun, enjoy.

Last edited:

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
Andy..............what I could mag.............they looked beautiful. Well done sir!!

andyintacoma

Roger & John - Here are some closer, brighter images - left F/Left R, Right F, Right Rear, and each inlay section.

Next mission will be to remove butt cap - (also engraved with my Grandfathers name), I think taking this thing apart is out of my wheelhouse. Something interesting going on in front of the first dog on Left side - like a scratch out that is now a shrub or nest.

Figured the top and bottom might be helpful - but not much to see. They sold this in a Pigeon Grade - but as my Grandfather probably could not afford one - he had the engraver add a Gold Pigeon in near where a factory pigeon would have been stamped.

Knot hole is an odd detail on the tree on left side inlay.

I cant get pictures better than this with what I have to work with!

Thanks for the brain space you have offered up thus far.

Attachments

• left F.jpg
    left F.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 47
  • left Rear.jpg
    left Rear.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 45
  • right F.jpg
    right F.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 44
  • right rear side.jpg
    right rear side.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 47
  • inlay dog L.jpg
    inlay dog L.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 47
  • inlay dog R.jpg
    inlay dog R.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 48
  • top 2.jpg
    top 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 43
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 48

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for the better photos Andy.
Defiantly not Angelo or Gino's work.
Sorry to say the Inlays and out of round scrolls are not near their quality of work.
But the overall layout, and general style is a copy of them.

Last edited:

andyintacoma

Thanks for the better photos Andy.
Defiantly not Angelo or Gino's work.
Sorry to say the Inlays and out of round scrolls are not near their quality of work.
But the overall layout, and style is a copy of them.
Guess that means I can take this to the shotgun club and shoot it now!

thanks

Latest posts

Sponsors