Question: Window pane buckle measurements??

rossm10

Hello all, Is there a formula to use when cutting the opening in a "window pane" style buckle to determine the length the opening should be based on the width of the belt???I'm making a buckle for a 1.5" belt and was wondering how long I should saw out the opening in order for the belt to be able to slide through easily??? Thanks for any help or ideas!! Ross

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Shouldn't you consider the size of the belt, width? That would determine the size of the window. The border around the outside could be wide or thin. I suggest that you have the belt in your hand before you make the buckle.

rossm10

Shouldn't you consider the size of the belt, width? That would determine the size of the window. The border around the outside could be wide or thin. I suggest that you have the belt in your hand before you make the buckle.

rossm10

Yes, The width is 1.5"....I know that measurement. I'm wondering that based on that measurement, if there is a standard ratio/formula to ballpark the length of the window needed to make sure the belt feeds through easily.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
You should also consider the thickness of the leather. Some belts have a lining, others do not. I have a belt to make a trophy style buckle for and the it is much thicker than most because of a lining. A good looking buckle will start with a good design on paper. When I made my first ranger style buckle I made a test piece in copper as I had to form it by hand.