3d Dies

DARNEW

I know that this forum is for engraving, and that is what I do, but I would like to make 3d dies also for my jewlery and buckle figures. I once went to a shop many years ago and was showed a process were they made a large 3d master, then put it on a panograph to cut the die to size. Then they used a screw press to form it. My question is where do I find out about this type of die making, I have tried the internet with no success.

Attachments

• buckles-13.jpg
    buckles-13.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 190

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Darnew, I can't help you with the info but like to mention that I like the buckle. Thanks for showing. I'd like to see more if you have more pics.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dies

Suggest that you read the thread on making dies posted by "Vilts" the other day!!
I am also interested in building dies for that same reason,but I think you can engrave better detail in the dies and produce a finer product (detailed images) with a little effort.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I think most of the members don't do that sort of thing. Lost wax is less expensive and easier to
tool up for. Do you want the die forming method so you have a better end product?
I don't think I've ever seen a skew press for sale.
The only shops I've heard having one are in Rhode Island. I think most have be replace with
automatic stamping presses.

Bill Tokyo

Die making

Screw presses are now increasingly common. Look under "fly press" and you will find a considerable amount of
information. they have become quite popular with blakc smiths, an art which is undergoing a resurgence.
There is some information available from black smith resources on die making, at least for blanking dies.

I would like to learn more about blanking and simpler die making also.

Bill

DARNEW

The bull head on the buckle is a casting I did, but in order to use a gold filled figure, wich is cheaper, you need to die strike them. I can have dies made, but I would like to do my own just for fun. It is not the pontograph or press that I can not find but the process that I would like to get a book on. See next post for a die struck figure in 10-k gold filled on a buckle I built.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
A fly press average around 1500.00 to 3000.00 from what I seen on the web. Then there is the shipping.
Sheesssh. I hope you find one right next door and the guy has a fork lift. It seems to be the buz word
with black smiths.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Darnew, you can model you motif in a piece of tool steel by hand, using chisels, files, punches et. Polish and harden the positive master, and finally sink it slowly in a soft piece of steel using a hydraulic press. This only takes a few minutes and produces a sharp, polished negative. Outsides of this piece can be machined again, then it is hardened too.
If you want to produce only a few pieces in soft gold, you can use hard rubber as a back for pressing the gold sheet into the negative. A stamp of brass would also work.