A General Thank-You

Bill Ellis

:) I just wanted to acknowledge all the efforts by so many of you for posting your pics, your how-to tips, and your advice on this forum. I am steadily learning how to engrave some of my own stuff, which happens to be knives and straight razors. My goal is to get half as good as the majority of you. I don't post much because I don't feel like I have much to contribute. I am in awe of most of the work that I see here and I wanted to let all of you know I appreciate the time that each of you invest to share what you know.

I recently went to Kansas and participated in a beginning class put on by Glendo/Rex. I don't know how long it would have taken to learn what I did at Glendo on my own. I really enjoyed myself there and they are a great group of folks. I think the class cut my learning curve by a ton. I was impressed on how much of himself that Rex gave. Because he had no secrets on how the work is done I realized that he was confident enough with his work to share what he knows with others. For the longest time I thought that knifemakers were the only group of people who would share everything that they know with people they don't really know. I'm glad that the engravers here on this forum seem to be from the same mold.

Here is a pic of my latest work on a batch of straight razor blades. You wouldn't believe how many guys who have taken up shaving with a straight razor. I still use one at least once a week. I forces me to slow down, reflect, and put things in perspective.

Attachments

• 20080717_005bb.jpg
    20080717_005bb.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 168

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Bill, first of all welcome aboard. Those border design cuts look really good to me! I love that first one.
Keep posting your work, that is contributing to alot of beginners and people just starting to learn engraving.
Thanks for posting this.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, What Tim said!!!!!!!! Hang in there, your engraving is looking good, I make knives as well and am starting to engrave on them and a couple of other peoples knives as well. I'm not great at it but I love doing it. I struggle with getting the shading right and just getting a layout drawn to fit the particular canvas I'm working on to be really appealing to the eye, but as I read and study others work and paintings & sketches of everything I can look at I'm getting an eye for it. You will too, thanks for posting your work, looks good to me, keep it up!!! Glad your here on the forums with us :D Dwayne

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bill

No worries. Good to have you on board and you're in good company.

They are great looking razors you have there. There's no way I'd shave with one of those.........I'm dangerous enough with a saftey razor!!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Bill,
Those look great! Of course you know how I liked to push those borders!!!
Keep it up and keep posting.
Rex

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Bill, Your straight lines look great, it would take years of steady work to accomplish that with hammer and chisel, I know, and plenty of others will testify. Keep it up, looks like you had a great teacher. But I aint shaving with a straight razor, that looks like suicide.

Good Luck

Ed

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
post your pics. we want to see it all. this looks great. never be shy about sharing what you have done. we all learn here from each and every participant. that's how i view this forum and the people who hang around here.

Latest posts

Sponsors