A H Fox shotguns

thefox

Hi, everybody!
I will start by saying how much I enjoy all the information that you can get from this site! I believe it's the most unselfish bunch I've ever seen, and I hope that someday I can be of help also.

I am a rank beginner, and had never put a scratch on anything until I went to a beginner's class at GRS last Sept 10 that was taught by Marty Rabino. It was a most enjoyable week! I had read J. B, Meeks book, and tried to get some ideas beforehand. I started buying equipment all year up until the date of the class. I purchased Sam's video beforehand, and got in pretty good shape on sharpening. It was just like a kid before Christmas with me waiting for the class! I certainly was not dissapointed. I wanted to get started on the right foot, and not acquire any bad habits.

A H Fox shotguns are my weakness! I love'em! I still have the one my dad gave me when I was a kid, and have started collecting them after I made up my mid about engraving, and that I was going to go for it! Now for a question.....do any of you have, or know where I could get a suitable design that I can put on a customized Fox sterlingworth? I know that's a big order, and I'm practicing on drawing with Ron's books, but let's face it, I'll be 71 years old in June, and I'm "running low on gas"! I have cut a bunch of practice plates, and am ready to give it a shot! Any help will be appreciated, thanks Bryan Clary

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say look all over the net at photos of engraved examples and find one you like that you feel is in your ability range to cut. Modify that design and change it up a bit to make it unique to you and not a direct copy of anothers work and just do it.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why don't you post some examples of your practice plates and some of your proposed drawings and we can evalaute your designs versus your abilities. Better to do a design that is within yuor abilities and that you can finish in a reasonable amount of time than to bite off more than you can chew......(author ruefully thinking of some S&W Model 19s that are half engraved and have been in a bucket of oil awaiting finishing for more than two decades :^{

and..... I've a got Sterlingworth here that you can practice on.... ha!.

actually Paris is probably a 4or 5 hour drive from here but you are welcome to get a bit of first hand evlaution if you are over this way.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Fox,
Where at near Paris. I have family in Puryear and the Jones Mill area ( a little north of Paris).

Sandy

thefox

Hi, Everyone!
Thanks for the response. I have been looking for someone locally that is pretty good with graphics, since I am no computer ace. I might get some sort of a starting place and modify it, and get going. I know that you've got to crawl before you walk, I'm sure the first project will not be something to enter at the county fair, As far as having any talent for drawing, I would rate myself a 1 minus! I have always been pretty capable with my hands.

I live about one mile from Bigsandy TN, which is real close to Ky. Lake. Never did care too much about fishing, though. If I can manage, I will send out a picture of a practice plate that will give you an idea of how bad I can mess up. I'll try to get it out soon. Thanks, Bryan Clary

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Clary,
I attended Buchannan and Springville High Schools many years ago.

Sandy

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Bryan, welcome. Your never to old to learn, and engraving is very theraputic, as there is nothing greater than creating beauty with you bare hands. You will love it. Let us see what you are doing, as Scott said, but you will need to work on your drawing I think. It seems that you can never find the right size or shape for spaces, but that mostly has to do with scroll designing. What are you interested in engraving on, guns? knives?.........I would say if you can sharpen a tool properly, go to it. Cut Cut Cut, Draw Draw Draw, Practice Practice Practice................Scott's advice is very good. Don't try to do anything you can't achieve success on and work up to it.............As for my books, follow along and draw as you read or work along with the plates. Something very important is to learn a basic leaf structure first. Do the progression drawings as you see them. Be critical about your evaluation of each line in the structure and commit it to memory. This is the only way you can retain what you are learning, other wise your drawings will not look like they should and you will develope slowly. I can't seem to get this across to my students as hard and often as I try. Once you learn a basic leaf, go on to the construction of the spiral and so on. Hope this helps. keep us up on how and what you are doing and post your progress. If you aren't afraid to be critiqued, you will grow fast............Ron S

thefox

Hi, Ron,
Thanks so much for the reply! The practice plates that I've been doing, are the ones that I got at GRS in Sept. which included your first basic book and a practice knife. I have since ordered your advance drawing book also. My main interests are the old Fox Shotguns, and I feel that if I can get one done to my satisfaction at my age, I will be be very happy. Scrolls happen to be my favorite theme, and if I can trrow in a bird dog and a quail once in a while, I'll be happy. As for criticism, I love it, be it good or bad! If you can't be honest with yourself, you're going nowhere! I started out into this venture being absolutely convinced that I could do it, as I have done in my life with success. One of my first real challenges was learning to play the fiddle. (got pretty good at it to) Having hung that up, I'm taking on engraving! Wish you could be around to hear the hoots from the boys, Ha, ha, I love it!

I'm trying to get a picture made of one of my plates. I'll put it out to the forum as soon as I can figure out how to get a decent one without so much glare. It's stainless, and it shines like a diamond. Thanks, Bryan

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bryan, if you have a scanner, you can get some pretty good results providing the item is flat. You can tone your practice plates down a bit and eliminate glare by using a little courser finish on the plate and also a spray on flat lacquer works wonders for photography purposes and you can get it off with acetone. Isn't too good an idea on jewelry and such but for your practice plates you will be surprised at how nice they come out. You can also pat a little tacky wax on the surface and that will help cut glare, but you might see some fingerprints. Give that a try and see if you like it.................Ron S

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Didn't get it Bryan. you might have to put it in your pictures folder and then load it up, but I don't know a lot about computers. You might have to start a new thread and ask someone who has done it. One of our members just recently posted a scanned piece of jewelry and it was very nice. Look under Katherine plummers thread moose and horse pendents and read that one and maybe she can help you. Sorry i wasn't more help...Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors