a message knife

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm posting these fotos in behalf of john robbins. by trade, chief engineer on an oilwell rig repair ship. the theme is if you're a seashell with pearls, stay away from an octopus. especially one with rubies for eyes. john did the damascus blade and blued it somehow. the sheath is 2-piece soldered silver, and then he blued it. scales of mop. the octopus and the starfish eating away at the shell were originally carved in wax, then lost wax cast by john. all in all, i think this is an amazing body of work. john is also an engraver of about 6 years experience. i dare say we have not seen the last from this gentleman !

Attachments

• JR.jpg
    JR.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 273
  • JR1.jpg
    JR1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 275
  • JR2.jpg
    JR2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 125
  • JR3.jpg
    JR3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 179
  • JR4.jpg
    JR4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 163
  • JR5.jpg
    JR5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 173

JTR

Thanks again to Monk for posting the pictures for me, although his description credits me a little too much.
I didn't forge the damascus blade, but bought a bar and ground the blade from it, which was truely a pain in the rear and I wouldn't really want to do it again with my simple tools. I did carve all the wax casting pieces, but after trying unsuccessfully to cast a few of the simple pieces, enlisted the help of a jewelry maker friend and his high tech casting machine which gave perfect results every time.
This is my first attempt at making a knife, and after learning a lot doing this one, the next one will be much easier and quicker.
As for the subject, form, whatever you want to call it, I’ve worked on ships for many years, so using the critters that lurk in the ocean just seemed natural. I won’t be giving up my job anytime soon to make knifes however, as this took about 10 months of work, but was a great bit of fun doing it.
Now maybe I can spend some time practicing engraving!
John

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very cool. I really like the octopus and the starfish pommel. Amazing work for a first knife.

Peter

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John, I don't think many in the general public would ever understand the level one has to work at to produce an ultimately unique creation such as this, and where you are treading on territory of unknowns, there is a lot of experimentation and exploration. Having said that, you need to get this piece in to the right environment and you still probably won't get compensated for your time. This is a beautiful, unique piece. Congratulations on the concept and creativity and a job expertly done.....Excellent!......Ron S

JTR

Thank you guys so much for all the kind words!
To tell the truth, I was very nervous when Monk suggested posting it on here, because this place is populated with such a great bunch of artisans and outstanding experts, but this morning, because of your kind comments, the nerves have settled into a more comfortable feeling.
Now that the adventure of making this one is finished, and it was truly an adventure, I’m looking forward to making another, not necessarily the same theme, but nautical, and equally unusual using the same techniques.
As Ron pointed out, sometimes you make something with little or no hope of recouping your labor time, or in this case even the costs of materials, but you do it anyway for self satisfaction, and just to see if you can do it, and that was my idea here. Maybe after I’ve made a few more, improving my workmanship, maybe someone would like to buy one, but I’m not holding my breath.
Thanks again, John

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I ever get my eye poked out, I hope it's with a knife that pretty and not an old Red Ryder BB gun...

That belongs in an art museum, really!

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
John,
That is the most beautiful blue patina on the silver sheath I have ever seen! That is one spectacular knife! Is the starfish enameled? Every time I look at it I see something new. Great job, John, let see some more.
Gailm

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JTR,
I was very nervous when Monk suggested posting it on here, because this place is populated with such a great bunch of artisans and outstanding experts...

I think you are probably in the "artisan and outstanding experts" category with your knife entry. Great job - especially for a first. Keep up the good work and please post your next knife here too! :)

JTR

Thanks so much Tira, and thanks for the invitation to post a second one when I finish it.
I’ve already received an inquiry from a friend regarding a pal of his as a first prospective client for a similar knife, or one with a couple mermaids that I have in mind, so am quite excited!
Hopefully attached are a couple more pictures. One showing the sheath before I put things together. Thanks Gail for the comment on the color! It is a patina solution on both the sheath and the starfish, is easy to work with, but a bit delicate, so I need to work on that.
I’m off to the Las Vegas gun and knife show tomorrow morning, and well, I think I’m going to take the knife with me.
Thanks again, everyone’s comments are greatly appreciated!
John

Attachments

• Picture 007 (Large).jpg
    Picture 007 (Large).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 059 (Large).jpg
    Picture 059 (Large).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 57

mikekoller

John,
If I may suggest... get a professional Photographer to take a shot or two of that knife. If nothing else you will have a record of it to show others.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
john, i can guarantee your work will sell. you have expressed way more self doubt about your work than is realistic. i assure you, your work is top shelf stuff ! above all, it has 2 other qualities; the work is unique to the max ! and it tells a story about a greedy octopus ! this goes nowhere but up !

JTR

Thanks,
I did show it around some at the Vegas knife show and am very encouraged by the comments I received!
Several dealers/makers also put a value on it that pretty well knocked my socks off!
Since then a couple guys have expressed interest in it, but I don't really want to part with my first, so I'll likely make a second more or less copy.
Beyond that, I also have a second knife in the works now. A different theme, but still nautical, and this one will have some engraving/sculpting on it, so good lord help me there!
Down the road you guys will likely be seeing some pictures of preliminary work, and me asking for HELP!
Thanks for the great support here, John

Rob Blanton

John,
What an incredible piece!! It is one of the most interesting knives I have seen in a long time.
Best regards,
Rob