Acid etching background removal

I am working on a mild steel handled dagger that will receive full coverage deep relief scrolls engraving. It will be sculpted, so the background needs to be deep. I was wondering if etching the background away with acid ( ferric chloride hopefully) is doable and what the fine points may be. I.E. the resist, acid bath conditions ect.

Thanks!!

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bailey,
I use finger nail polish on areas that need to be protected and the ferric chloride. I have never used it on the scroll background, but it should work.

Joe

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bailey

There was an excellent seminar given by Bob Evans at the FEGA show in Reno in January this year covering acid etching. What materials to use, where to get them and how to do it.

The DVD should be coming out shortly and will be available at the FEGA web site.

Cheers
Andrew

joe seeley

I use acid for etching logo's and background removal, and also for etching the damascus accesories that I make, butt plates, grip caps, etc. Feric chloride is a very slow etch on steel. it is more suited to copper, or getting the pattern from damascus to show up well. For steel I use cronite steel etch, from cronite co. You will be able to etch several thousands of an inch in a few applications. Watch it close and and don't leave it unattended, rinse between applications, and it will do a fine job for you. Practice on a couple of items to become familiar with it.
here is a picture of the damascus parts with a several hour etch.

joe

Attachments

• DSC00099.JPG
    DSC00099.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
I cant remember the name but there is a knifemaker from spain who has posted several tutorials on the subject at The Knife Network in the engravers forum.He is a master and does work for Kings and Presidents.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I cant remember the name but there is a knifemaker from spain who has posted several tutorials on the subject at The Knife Network in the engravers forum.He is a master and does work for Kings and Presidents.

I think you may be referring to Montejano(sp?). He does some nice work.

Peter

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bailey, it's nice to see you posting on this website. I enjoy your knives. Please post some pictures of your knives and engraving so all of us can enjoy.
Thanks, Glenn