Air Supply Issues

herrnusser

Hey guys! I have been out of the loop for a while but now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. First and formost, I would like to get some ideas on how the best/most efficent way of hooking up a gravermach to a Silent-Air SL50 commpressor. I would like to reduce the oil flowing into it and have an auxially port to use an airbrush.

In addition, the Graver Mach has a great system for quick detach air clamps. Any one know I could get some of them? I figure they would be a great addition and ease mobility / portability of a the total engtaving system. Thanks for the help!

Ed

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
McMaster-Carr filter number 9841K91 or -92. It filters down to .01 micron. It uses rolls of toilet paper as a filter. If you find that this is not the best filter on the market then send it to me and I will buy it from you.

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
Not to be rude but while a coalescing filter is good, different styles/designs require a certain volume of air flow in order to work correctly and it's based on the delivered air volume and must also take into account the operating pressure and temperature, cold air will not filter as easily as warm air. Nonetheless, a coalescing filter, even if the rating of the filter are not correct, they are still a fine choice to use as a pre-filter.

The most economical and good performing choice is a dual-filtering oil/water separator. Most every mfg makes units that are very similar, they are a combination of coalescing and direct filtering where the air is spun on the way in and cannot get out without passing through the washable direct filter that catches anything missed by the coalescing action. The direct filter can be made of plastic, ceramic, sand or bronze and it can be washed with detergent and hot water - just be sure it's completely dry before re-installing. Similar style dual filters are sold for use on spray paint air supplies and come with a disposable filter and/or desiccant cartridge - these can become costly on the consumable end.

You have to be careful about using any type of paper that is not specifically made as filter media because the latent moisture and oils in the air supply can cause leaching of corrosives/acids from the paper itself that will attack metal, rubber and plastic parts they come in contact with.