Question: alloying gold

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know where Midvale is, but doing a google search shows several jewelers in the related area. I am sure that one or more mix their own alloyed gold, and would work with you by either doing it and/or showing you the process. If you get to Spokane, I could walk you through the steps.

Will

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Brian,

You've received a lot of good advise, and I'd like to emphasize a few points.

In the first thread for which KCSteve posted a link (thank you, ever-helpful Steve), a book is mentioned, authored by George Gee. The title of the book is "Gold Alloys", and it is an incredible wealth of information. The language is a bit dated, and clearly some of the vernacular is obtuse to those of us who speak English, but weren't born there, and some of the technical things that were current in the late 1800's and early 1900's have been supplanted. But, understanding the underlying principles will give you the knowledge and confidence to successfully proceed. This book contains the distillation of Mr. Gee's 50+ years experience working in precious metals. Do whatever you can to obtain a copy.

The point about obtaining alloys designed for malleability and ductility, as opposed to casting, is well made. For example, sometimes a bit of silicon is added to alloys to make them more fluid so they will cast better. If you use a carbon rod for stirring, and the alloy has some silicon in it, you might be on the road to making minute amounts of silicon carbide mixed in with your carefully wrought metal. No wonder some alloys might seem a bit brittle. If you're sure the alloy doesn't have silicon, a carbon rod can help absorb oxygen, which is a plus. A quartz rod is a more neutral choice, but there is room for both options, if you've done your homework.

Very often, you'll be able to get some great technical advise from the folks who sell the alloy metals. They can give you recommended temperatures for pouring/casting, working properties, etc. It's in their best interest to have you be successful using their products, so they are usually quite helpful. Granted, they may not give you the exact formula, but then again, they might (and you still might not be able to duplicate their results due to other technical advantages or economies of scale they might possess). Some refiners will also sell you the alloy metal alone (without the gold), and they usually have many different colors. You simply add the appropriate amount of 24kt gold for your needs, and you're in business. The alloy metals are relatively inexpensive, and you can make up as much or as little as you require. This might be an advantageous combination; you can get high-quality alloy metal(s), and still perform a lot of the work yourself.

Good luck with your endeavor and Best Regards,
Doug

Latest posts

Sponsors