An Unusual Diamond Ring

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,
I got an unusual shaped diamond setting job in last week and I thought you might like to see how it
came out. The main stone was the normal 1 1/2 carat round diamond in the center but there were 8 specially cut
trapezoid cut diamonds that surrounded it to make an octagon.

Princess cut stone can be nervous job in that if the stones are thin then point can be weak. The trapezoid cut
shape stone have this problem just more so because there is less material to strengthen the points.
The angle of point is similar to a marque shaped stone but marques have more depth and thus are
stronger and can take more pressure.

The ring itself is 18k white gold which can be a tough metal sometimes. This alloy happens to be a good
one in that it's a rolled gold alloy. Rolled gold alloy are more elastic and less brittle, and lend themselves
very well to engraving and setting.

Older cast 18k gold alloys can be very brittle and can be very difficult to use a graver in. That is why
casting a customers old gold can be a real problem. The metal may have lost most of its low temperature
alloys which causes stress cracks during rolling through a mill. So if a customer would like you to make
a pin or pendant and engrave it from 18k white gold. It might not be possible from old gold.

Having soft metal to push over stone is a real good thing, especially around these trapezoids.

This is the sequence of putting this ring together with the setting of the stones and the engraving.
This customer wanted more design value than diamond weight in the ring, so the use of small stone
in the pavilion wall with bright cutting made it a very interesting setting job.

Getting the walls to fold over and then mill grain them went well and I was happy that diamond
firm did a good job on cutting to order and the lay out worked well. These day precision is the
name of the game.

Most of my engraving is bright cut including the decorative elements of leaves. So you have
to keep in mind when the ring dulls down, the engraving had better be pretty and very exact.

I like to think of a ring shank as one complete idea rather than three zones that don't alway
work together well. I seen some engraved rings where this was a problem and the setter
got caught in a habit of one design motif.

Trying to balance all the elements that are going on
in these high end rings is the main focus. It a competitive market out there. So you better think
about what your trying to sell someone.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Last edited:

keykeeper

Wow, awesome job on the ring. I would bet getting all those trapezoids set around the outer circumference was
tedious to say the least. End result is very eye catching indeed.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Keykeeper,
Glad you like the design. It was a day and half to fit those stone in the seats.
It was a fun job to do, and time to seems to fly by when you're doing such jobs.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Last edited:

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Jim from one jeweler to another, you do some fine work and I enjoy seeing your work...
Time goes by fast when we are busy and enjoy our work...
Thanks for showing,
Jerry

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
Beautiful ring! When you refer to millgrain, is that those little beads running along the edges of the ring? I've seen millgrain devices advertised by the supply houses but don't know how they work. In looking at pictures of custom knives engraved by Julie Warenski I've seen those little beads on gold inlays she did.

Thanks,

Roger

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Jim!
I don't know that much about rings but enough to know that was a lot of work!
Well done.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger,
Mill grain wheels as they are called look like a like the letter L and have a small wheel at the end that
can imprint a row of small beads. The smaller the number, the smaller and more narrow the bead row is.

Traditionally these were only put on by hand but like a lot of things have been converted over to power
assist set up using either GRS or Lyndsay handpieces. I normally cut the shafts in half for better control
under power. You use a high beat per minute setting on GRS machines around 4000. Use regular oil on the
wheel, not cutting oil or you will cut through the axle instantly.

Hi Rex,
Thanks, this ring took four and half day to finish. I took my time because this customer paid for that type
of work to done on the ring. Making sure no stone had any chips, which could have happened quite easily.
Normally no ring takes any longer than two day to finish.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Last edited:

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Jim, that is just tremendous. One question, how did you attach those stems that hold the round stone in place. Were they soldered or welded?

Thanks For sharing

Ed

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ed,
They're solder after putting a half round grooves in for a stronger joint. Also the spacing for the diamond require
them to be slightly inset. I use Medium 14k gold solder for strength and good color even though this is an
18k mount.

19k & 20k white gold solder tend to produce cold solders, in other word a weak solder joint that can break
away if any pressure is put on it.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Last edited:

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Jim, thanks again, I would like to watch you solder those prongs on. Do you use a fixture to hold the wire in place while you solder?

If you don't mind me asking what was the final cost of this piece? Or maybe a better question, and I know the quality of diamonds makes a big difference, but what value would you put on this ring? I am guessing 6 to 8 thousand american?

Ed

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ed,
This is a Canadian Job. It would most likely be your highest amount. It's was mine to set not
sell. Really the goods belong to diamond vendor and now to the client. What I'm concerned about is that
the jewellers trust me to do job. Reputation is everything.

I use hemostats to hold the wire and a GRS ring hold fixture in the Benchmate system to hold the ring.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mike,
Using bright cutting as part of the design element is something we can do and I think should use more of.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Debbie,
Thanks, I glad you like the ring. Your right about the prongs being all curves, so that they won't catch
anything. This also helps the ring to look timeless, in that if you start with design that the ring is
going to end up looking like anyway because of wear.

The customers remain happy for a lot longer and the prongs don't ruin their clothing because
of catching right angles.

Talk to ya later,
Jim
Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors