Question: Annealing workpiece before engraving?

Nucrona

New to engraving but not to working precious metals as dentist and as hobbyist jeweler. Now retired have been looking at engraving.
My question is, are the work pieces ( that metal being engraved) annealed before the engraving is begun?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
usually not. the toughest engraving job, imho, would be certain firearms and custom knife blades. in the case of both, professional annealing and heat treatment are pretty much the order of the day. most all other metals are capable of being engraved without being annealed btw-- welcome to the forum.

Nucrona

Thank you. I am just getting started and am getting my knees wet in hand engraving. Hobbies can be expensive and more expensive clubs don’t always improve the golf score.
Right now I want to learn hand engraving but can’t decide what to buy first; ball vise, sharpener, power hand piece, ….?
think I’ll enjoy this forum.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you. I am just getting started and am getting my knees wet in hand engraving. Hobbies can be expensive and more expensive clubs don’t always improve the golf score.
Right now I want to learn hand engraving but can’t decide what to buy first; ball vise, sharpener, power hand piece, ….?
think I’ll enjoy this forum.
If you are a retired dentist you have skill with hand tools.
I would suggest that you might try starting with a hammer and chisel.
It will give you the feel and insight into cutting the metal before you commit a lot of money to a power system and find that you didn't get the best thing for you
If you are pretty sure that you want to get into engraving the first power equipment I would suggest is a power sharpening hone and the graver holding tool.
Shaping and sharpening tools are critical to your success.
Hope you can find a local engraver to let you have a trial run on their set up. Where are you located?
Welcome to engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors